Help with array formula

76chickens

Looking for advice on array formulas.
I'm a school teacher making a spreadsheet for my school that plots children's progress in different subjects across the year. Someone helped me write this formula which I have been able to apply to different terms in the same subject (columns A:N in one table per term). What I am struggling with is adapting the formula for the tables where data is represented in columns P:AC. My array formulae are gathering the data correctly, displaying accurately but I can't get it to be in the right place. What part do I need to tweak to get the information to show in columns P:AC??
=IFERROR(INDEX(names,SMALL(IF(A$3=RscoresBaseline,ROW(names)-4,""),ROW()-3)),"")
Thanks in advance from a teacher with no Excel training who is working it out as I go along thanks to the kindness and support of members of this group... I love you guys!!
❤️
❤️
❤️
❤️
❤️

Attachments

• 82492414_10156997706667633_7662483958306701312_n.jpg
    82492414_10156997706667633_7662483958306701312_n.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 101602466_10156997399612633_6239802614469361664_o.jpg
    101602466_10156997399612633_6239802614469361664_o.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 12

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Your formula looks like it should work as long as your named ranges are set up correctly.

What ranges to 'Names' and 'RScoresBaseline' refer to?

Upvote 0
HI Jason, RScoresBaseline is the reading scores children are getting in a separate tab and each child's name is next to their score ('Names'). Rows P:AC are WScoresBaseline (writing scores). Both reading and writing have ScoresChristmas, ScoresEaster and ScoresSummer further down the sheet.

Upvote 0
Your formula looks like it should work as long as your named ranges are set up correctly.

What ranges to 'Names' and 'RScoresBaseline' refer to?

I think I replied the wrong way previously!

HI Jason, RScoresBaseline is the reading scores children are getting in a separate tab and each child's name is next to their score ('Names'). Rows P:AC are WScoresBaseline (writing scores). Both reading and writing have ScoresChristmas, ScoresEaster and ScoresSummer further down the sheet.

Upvote 0
But what actual ranges do they refer to?

Everything is showing blank, which means that the formula is creating an error, in turn that means that something must be wrong with the definitions of the named ranges.

Upvote 0
But what actual ranges do they refer to?

Everything is showing blank, which means that the formula is creating an error, in turn that means that something must be wrong with the definitions of the named ranges.
It was blank because the names weren't in it for GDPR. I've just done one with fake names and this is now it looks. The names in the array sheet are all coming from RScoresBaseline even though the array on the right refers to WScoresBaseline.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    95.4 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
Still waiting on the definitions for the named ranges. As I've already pointed out (twice) they are most likely defined incorrectly.

Upvote 0
RScoresBaseline is set to $BS$5:$BS$34 which is the range for WScoresBaseline. RScoresBaseline is actually in $BO$5:$BO$34. Once corrected, your formula should work.

Just so you know for later, the #REF! errors that you said to ignore are a consequence of using right click and delete.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back