Help with Cell data entry

Dan Wilson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day. I am running Excel out of Office365 (updated recently) on Windows 10 Home. I have a situation that will require a rather difficult formula. Is it possible to configure a column of cells to allow data entry by a user and have that data automatically modified by a formula? The end result of the formula would then be stored in the cell. I have a situation where the number of months of membership in a club is used to calculate a percentage of attendance in events based on the months of membership in a fiscal year. The fiscal year does not run from January to December which would make the situation much easier. I appreciate any help with this one.
Thank you,
Dan Wilson...

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
If you want the same cell be modified than you need doing that via a macro.
Without macro my suggestion is that you create the new value into another cell, maybe write protected (ie not modifyable by the user). BTW this is my recommanded solution, as it offers an audit capability.

If you wish to work with the macro than you should clarify which cella are interested, wich information the user will load in those cells and which rule should be used to modify his input

Bye

Upvote 0
Good day Anthony47 and thank you for responding. Using a Macro would mean creating a separate Macro for each cell and there are already 200 members. I was trying to avoid creating another column to make the adjustment, but it looks like that's what I will have to do. Thanks again.
Dan Wilson....

Upvote 0
The advantage of the additional column is that it is clear what the user do and how the worksheet calculate that data.

We don't need a macro for each cell, even each cell had its own rule; if you explain more in detail which is the range of cells and how their content should be modified after it is typed into the cell maybe we could come with a prototype...

Bye

Upvote 0
Good day Anthony47. I solved the issue by entering the months of membership as the number of months of atual membership instead of the starting month. All is well. Thank you.
Dan Wilson...

Upvote 0
Solution
Glad to know you got the key to fix the problem
Bye

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back