Help with changing date format

monikatdlt

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey y'all,

I recently made some sheets of data on Doctor Who episodes (yes, nerd alert!), and I got the data from Wikipedia, so the air dates are in a European format, (23 November 1986, etc). I've been trying to change them to numbers and to make them more consistent and easier to work with, (and because I also want to import these to Kaggle as well) but I haven't been able to figure it out. If I change the date format, nothing changes. I used the LEFT and RIGHT functions to pull out the years and dates, but then the month names are different lengths, and also the single-digit dates are only one digit, not two, which kind of messes things up.
dr who date values.png

I tried using the Text to Columns wizard, which mostly worked, but not on all of the entries, for some reason.
dr who date values2.png

Hopefully y'all can help me figure this out, thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
What about instead of text to columns, you use the Datevalue function?

Book2
AB
14 April 196404/04/64
220 June 196406/20/64
318 July 196407/18/64
412 September 196409/12/64
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B4B1=DATEVALUE(A1)

Upvote 0
an idea is check the space to see if it matches the default space.

Upvote 0
Assuming the dates are in col I as shown above, try changing the cell format of those cells to 'Text' then try the Datevalue function again.

Upvote 0
So, I'm not sure how, but I accidentally fixed it lol. I copied each sheet into Google Sheets, and the DATEVALUE function worked perfectly. Other formulas like VLOOKUP that I hadn't been able to get to work also worked, so I just copied everything back into Excel and voila! Maybe there was some odd formatting left from copying from Wikipedia or something that I wasn't aware of? At least now I know that I'm not completely incompetent, so that's a plus lol

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back