Help with color change in cells based on any value in cell on same row

DIGGDADDY

Here is my issue. I have column G that has dates and I want to change the color to green if any value at all is entered in colomn W of the same row.
I have tried a few formulas but cant seem to get it to work right. I have column G with conditional rules to change to colors depending on date range.
so to understand example: if column g row 17 has 11/30/16 and column w row 17 has 12/01/16 I want column g row 17 to turn green. if column g row 17 has a date and column w row 17 has no date I don't want there to be any effect. I have thousands of rows. I just need column g to change color if column w on the same row has a value in it.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Hi,

You should be able to use a conditional formats. Select cell G17, then go to Conditional Formats. Choose the "Use a formula to determine which cells to format" option. Then enter a rule similar to this:

=W17<>0

Set the cell color, then click OK. Then copy and paste the format of cell G17 into the other rows in column G.

If you have multiple conditional formats in those cells already, you may have to move the conditional formats up and down in the list to get the right format to apply first.

Upvote 0
I would change Mark's suggestion to...
=W17<>""

That way, even if you enter 0, it wont trigger

Upvote 0
What i am trying to do effects every cell in g if anything other than blank is entered in column w. Not just row 17 that was just an example

Upvote 0
ok let me see if I can give you all a better idea of what I need.

I have around 18000 rows. (on any row) if W shows anything other than blank then highlight G green. if blank do nothing. what im trying to show is that if I have entered a date in a row on W then I need to highlight the due date I have previously entered in G to show that it is now good and complete by being highlighted green.

hope that helps

Upvote 0
Try setting the conditional formatting rule with the following option:

-Format only cells that contain
Cell Value
greater than
=1

Upvote 0
only changes color in that column for non blank dates. I need it to affect anything in column g if column w has a date.

ive found a ton of different ways to change color in w(the causing column) but cant get it to effect column g from column w cause

Upvote 0
Perhaps I am misunderstanding or over simplifying. Could you use a formula in the conditional formatting?

=g1+w1>g1 apply formatting? If there is no value in w1, then g1 would not highlight?

Hope it helps

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back