help with column looping

new2vba

Board Regular
i have multiple columns with a name followed by five #'s as such:

Name

i'm want to loop through each column, and when criteria are met (ex:#4>#1), copy that column to another location and sort the numbers. i have a problem thinking in vba code, and i can't figure out how to code this logic:

for each column b to e, if row 5>row2 then....

the copy and sort which follows i think i got. Any ideas?

Macro, you are a tremendous help. when i get to my other computer later i will post a picture with html maker...don't have it on my work pc

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Okay, let's try this again: :rolleyes:
Code:
Sub Compare_Entries()
Dim Tcell As Range
Dim Mycell As Range

For Each Tcell In Range("A1", Range("A1").End(xlToRight))
    If Tcell.Offset(5).Value > Tcell.Offset(2).Value Then
        Select Case Range("A1").Offset(10).Value
                Case ""
                    Set Mycell = Range("A1").Offset(10)
                Case Is <> ""
                    Set Mycell = Range("IV11").End(xlToLeft).Offset(0, 1)
        End Select

Tcell.Resize(6).Copy Mycell
        Mycell.Offset(1).Resize(6).Sort Key1:=Mycell.Offset(1), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _
        OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom

End If
Next Tcell

End Sub

Upvote 0
this puts it in column a, however, the next column to meet the criteria must go in column b and etc.... i will have btw 50 and 60 columns, and a few will meet each criteria i have. you are on the right track though

Upvote 0
In my test, all columns are pasted next to each other. Does more than one column in your test match the criteria?

Upvote 0
yes i believe so...im not sure if maybe i misunderstood the cell references here:
Code:
If Tcell.Offset(5).Value > Tcell.Offset(2).Value
...i tried changing the (#)'s and ">" and still only one column appears. maybe you could explain the reference to see if i am on the same page.

Upvote 0
Sure!

Code:
Tcell.Offset(5,0).Value
In the previous line of code:

Tcell: Cell you are testing (Defined earlier in the code with Dim Statement)

.offset(5,0):Offset=Tells Excel to look at cell away from cell. 5=Number of Rows below the test cell. 0=Number of Columns to the right of the test cell.(Since we are not dealing with rows, we can omit the ,0.)

Therefore, if Tcell is Range C5, then Tcell.offset(5) is range C10 and Tcell.Offset(5,3) is Range F8.

I hope I have explained well enough. I've never tried to explain this before. If not, I will try again.

Mac

Upvote 0
i think i got it...and this may be where the problem lies...the 5 rows of numbers are in a static order, and i want to compare specific number relationships...it sounds like in your code, each number is looked at and then 2 numbers at a certain offset are compared. does this make sense?
if i have 50 columns of:
name

i want to go through each column and see if #4>#3 for ex. i don't want to make relative comparisons to each cell, but fixed comparisons btw 2 numbers in each column.

Upvote 0
another way to put it: are you looping through each cell of each column? i am wanting to loop through each column and compare two specific numbers in each column.

Upvote 0
Okay:

Your data is formatted this way:

The following part of the code in question tests whether #5 is grater than #2 in each column. If it is, all of the data (Header, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5) are copied and pasted to the first available column beginning with Row 11.
Code:
If Tcell.Offset(5).Value > Tcell.Offset(2).Value Then
To change which numbers are tested, change the Offset part of the code.

For example, to test whether #4 is greater than #3, change to this:
Code:
If Tcell.Offset(4).Value > Tcell.Offset(3).Value Then

Does this help?

BTW: This code will test each column provided there are no blank columns between data. If there are blank columns, we have a new problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back