help with combo box

killerleaf

Board Regular
need help, and this is probably very very simiple...and the answer is probably in the HELP file, but apparently I don't know what to call what I want to be able to do...

I have box on a form, (combo box)...what I would like to be able to do is to be able to type in a letter, and then scroll thru the choices with the down arrow key, (or spacebar, or something...)

any and all help would be appreciative!! :pray: :pray:

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Sound like you're needing a List Box rather than a Combo. With a List Box, you can hit the first letter and it'll take you to the first record in the list that starts with that letter. You can then use the down arrow key to scroll thru your records.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you're dealing with a Combo Box that is bound to a field. No, I don't believe that you can bind a list box to a Control Source. What you could have is a list box to find your values and then, maybe on the Double-Click event of the list, have it populate another text box. That text box could be bound to the underlying field and, if what you want to type in isn't in your list box, you could just populate it manually.

Upvote 0
What you are asking for sounds like the default setting for a combo box! make sure that Auto Expand is set to yes.
To show the list with out using the mouse press Alt and the Down arrow together then use the Up/Down arrows to select.

Upvote 0
that is perfect bat!!
I knew there was a way, just did not know how...I am still learning the basics, as well as a lot of the other not so basic stuff....tons of fun!! :oops:

plus I had a feeling it was something sooo simple...like the auto expand. :oops: will get all this stuff learned one of these days!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back