HELP with data delimiters

super3origin

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi,

I have long list of files in .dat format that I want to convert them into excel format. The files have bunch of data separated by delimiters and I need them to be separated by columns in excel. I know the excel trick where I can import the data in excel/or open with excel and use the excel text wizard. My problem is that I have over 2000 files that I need to convert and split the texts in columns. Opening and delimiting each one of them will take forever.

Is there any way I can split all text files at once?

I can convert all of them to xls, but how I can split the text for all of them at once?

Please note I don't want to merge the files. I want the 2000 .dat files be 2000 .xlsx only this time the data are presented in columns instead of delimiters.
I'm running a mac

I appreciate any advice

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I think VBA can help you on this, but I'm still learning VBA, so I cannot offer any code to you.

You can use Macro recorder to record your steps on text to columns, then save your Macro to the "customize quick access bar". When you open up your document, you simply click the Macro icon to run it. It will save a few clicks because you don't have to click on text to columns and go through all the steps anymore; but you still have to go thru 2000 files.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back