help with data validation please

fry

Hi All

I have a bit of an involved problem...

To try and explain this clearly imagine a number of columns, each of which represents a job, and at the top of each column is a cell that contains a drop down list with people listed in it......so far so good and easy to set up but here's the difficult bit......assuming there were 10 names in the list and I pick one of the names in the first column for the first job.

What I want to happen then is for the name that I picked to disappear from the list in all the other jobs so it can't get picked again. So now the list only shows 9 names. Similarly when I pick a name from the 9 names for job 2, that name now disappears from the list and there are 8 names that show for job 3, etc.

Also, just to make it a little harder, instead of going from job 1 to job 2 to job 3 etc, I might go to job 10, then job 2, then job 6 for example and as I pick the names they disappear from the list whichever way round I do it :confused:

I'm TOTALLY confused as to where to start or even if this is possible in excel. It does sound more like a database thing where you could have 2 flags, one for 'available on list' and one for 'used already'

Absolutely any help would be gratefully received :)

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
This is a bit worrying, you guys are usually so quick the answer is here before I finish typing!!

I did think it might be too complicated for poor old excel to cope with but I hope someone proves me wrong :)

Upvote 0
That was just what I was looking for Jimmy

A thousand thanks for your help!! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back