Help with Drop Down List

Rklafka

Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a current drop down list. I can pick something from it and it populates another cell just fine. Now I need that Drop down list to continue to do that but then I need it to populate different information in a different cell. I ask this because the drop down list is very long and did not want to have to duplicate it for another drop down list to fill this other cell. So in another way I need an item from the drop down list to say populate a price in cell B7 that it gets from another sheet and then I need it to populate say speed/feed rate in cell M9 that will allow me to use a formula in another cell to give me an answer.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I think we need you to clarify what your situation is and what you want to accomplish. Please imagine for a moment that you have never ever seen your file before and you don't have any idea at all what the file is supposed to do, then read your description.

I can pick something from it and it populates another cell just fine.
A dropdown list cannot populate another cell. It just puts a value in the cell that contains it. You need to explain what's happening in the other cell a little more. Is there a formula in the other cell that refers back to the cell with the dropdown list?

Now I need that Drop down list to continue to do that but then I need it to populate different information in a different cell.
Same problem.

I ask this because the drop down list is very long and did not want to have to duplicate it for another drop down list to fill this other cell.
It is not clear why you would have to duplicate it, unless you need to select two different values from the same dropdown. Please clear up the mystery of what is in these two other cells and how their values are based on the dropdown selection.

So in another way I need an item from the drop down list to say populate a price in cell B7 that it gets from another sheet
Once again, the dropdown list is just a value. That's it. If you want something in B7 you have to have a formula in B7. And you need to explain how B7 will use the value in the dropdown list to determine what value to get from another sheet.

and then I need it to populate say speed/feed rate in cell M9 that will allow me to use a formula in another cell to give me an answer.
Same problems as the description of B7.

Upvote 0
Drop down list is material types. Depending on which material type you pick it will pull a price from a different sheet and enter it into another cell. I need that drop down list to also pull a second set of information and put it into another cell.

Upvote 0
I have a current drop down list. I can pick something from it and it populates another cell just fine. Now I need that Drop down list to continue to do that but then I need it to populate different information in a different cell. I ask this because the drop down list is very long and did not want to have to duplicate it for another drop down list to fill this other cell. So in another way I need an item from the drop down list to say populate a price in cell B7 that it gets from another sheet and then I need it to populate say speed/feed rate in cell M9 that will allow me to use a formula in another cell to give me an answer.

Yes, it is possible to achieve what you want using Worksheet_Change. You will also have to Prioritize the order of the cells it needs to fill OR which value from dropdown should fill which cell. To prevent overwriting of the earlier filled cells, you can also check for blanks in those cells.

If you have a clear logic then like I said, it can be achieved.

Upvote 0
Drop down list is material types. Depending on which material type you pick it will pull a price from a different sheet and enter it into another cell. I need that drop down list to also pull a second set of information and put it into another cell.
You did not really answer my questions, just sort of restated your first post. You need to provide far much more detail, including all the specifics of where your data is located on your worksheet including the "second set of information" and where you want to see the results.

Upvote 0
this is my formula that I have in the first cell based on which drop down item I choose. =VLOOKUP(C1,Sheet1!A2:D92,4,FALSE)
this will populate a price in this cell based on its lookup. Based on what material that is chosen in the drop down I need it to continue to do the formula above but I also want it to populate a second answer in another cell.

Upvote 0
Sorry but you are still just repeating the same thing and not answering my questions in anywhere near the detail requested. Best of luck.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hycrow

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back