Help with drop menus/validation please

JEALOUSNEIGHBORS

Hey guys- i have an issue. I have a workbook that has a sheet that is a contract template for construction estimates. In the body of the contract in column a is a drop menu where you can select out of 17 construction phases. This drop menu shows up in all rows of column a. In column b, i would like to have another drop menu that depending on which phase is selected in column a, it will give a list of descriptions to pick from, that correlate to that phase. Ultimately i will be able to build a construction estimate by selecting phases and then descriptions for each phase which i currently have listed on another sheet. I know this is some type of validation but i cant seem to figure it out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Thanks Alphafrog...I have the drop down menus in column A & B now. A shows the 17 phases that you can pick from but only the first 4 phases when selected have something in column B to choose from. The other phases show a drop menu but when you click the arrow it doesn't do anything. I had someone help build the first part of this and they only went so far with setting me up assuming I would be able to mimic what they did for the rest. On a different sheet of the workbook, I have the descriptions for each phase. I tried highlighting those lists (columns) and renaming them in the name box but when I type "demo" which is the first phase in the name box after highlighting that column, it only recognizes the top few lines. I am trying to highlight 50 rows in each column so I can add descriptions as needed and they will show up in the drop boxes on the contract sheet. Basically, I have the first few phases and descriptions working properly so I'm 95% there. I just can't figure out how to continue the formulas, renaming or validation so everything works. I really appreciate your help. -JN

Upvote 0
I highlighted the column and then entered the exact name "Demo" in the name bar and pressed enter but it will not rename everything that I selected. It switches from everything being highlighted to just the first 10-12 being highlighted as soon as I press enter. Would there be a reason that it won't let me rename more rows?

Upvote 0
I suspect the first 10-12 are already named Demo. You would have to open the name manager and delete the named range called Demo then make a new one. Do a web search for something like Excel Name Manager and you will find several guides\videos\tutorials on how to edit a named range.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SarahSomethingExcel100

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back