Help with duplicates on Excel 2019 - Mac

Sudhan_k

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hello,

I am trying to compile a simple list of select student/ class scores derived from a master sheet that contains all the scores of all the students.

So, the master sheet would contain the Following headers starting from Cell A1 - Student Name, Subject, Exam 1, Exam 2, Exam 3, Final Exams.

In a Separate sheet I would like compile this using Data Validation. I know that that a pivot table is a solution, but for practical purposes we would like to use Data Validation to derive at the Data.

The Student Name Would be selected from a drop down list (Data Validation), the subject would be selected from a drop down list, the scores for the students particular subject would then show up for Exam 1, Exam 2, Exam 3, Final Exams (Using V/H Lookup). With this I am able to compile the total scores for all the subjects, as well as the total score for a particular subject for a student.

Now the issue I am facing is when the same subject is selected for a particular student. For example of the 8 or so subjects a student takes, we select the same subject twice.

Is there way I can permit duplicates in the name column (Since the student has multiple subjects), but does-not allow you to select same subject again for a particular student.

Your Help is Much Appreciated.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back