Help with error if missing a scheduled position on a shift

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve89

Board Regular
hello ive been trying for years to get an answer on this: This is what i would need help with.

i have the following shifts on any GIVING DAY REQUIRED.

Am cook, Pm cook, am1, am2, am3, pm4, pm 5 & pm6

i would like a formula that if any of these shifts are missing on any giving day a designated cell will tell me exactly which shifts are missing for this day even if 3 are missing. i have a formula now but doesnt work well it works only for a 1 shift but i need an alert telling me which exact shifts are missing per day. currently i just have a conditional formula telling me when were under our daily hours needed that helps me see whats missing. but doesnt work well compared to know exactly whats missing considering we have accounts with up to 100+ employees and know whos missing is very hard.

thank you all

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Steve,

Here is one approach that uses some formulae and data validation (drop downs) to make shift assignments.
Assuming you have just two categories of workers, ie. 'Cooks' and 'Other'
Make two lists, one for 'Cooks', the 2nd for 'Other'. I did that in columns L and N.

Sheet1

KLMNO
1#ShiftsCooks Other#Shifts
22Bob Lenny3
31George Mark3
41Les Marty2
51Sam Mike2
61Steve Sebough3
7 Terry3

<colgroup><col style="width: 30px; font-weight: bold;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
K2=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$L2&"*")
O2=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$N2&"*")
K3=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$L3&"*")
O3=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$N3&"*")
K4=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$L4&"*")
O4=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$N4&"*")
K5=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$L5&"*")
O5=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$N5&"*")
K6=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$L6&"*")
O6=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$N6&"*")
O7=COUNTIF($B$2:$I$8,"*"&$N7&"*")

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Then in column A I put the Days (1, 2, 3, etc), or Sunday to Saturday for the entire week or month.
Row 1 is the header row where I put the positions for the cooks and others…see the screenshot below.

Sheet1

ABCDEFGHIJ
1DayAM CookPM CookAM1AM2AM3PM4PM5PM6
21BobGeorgeTerryLennyMarkMikeSeboughMarty
32 Missing
43LesSteve LennyTerryMarkSebough Missing
54 Missing
65SamBobTerryLennyMarkMikeMartySebough
76 Missing
87 Missing

<colgroup><col style="width: 30px; font-weight: bold;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"><col style="width: 64px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Spreadsheet Formulas
CellFormula
J2=IF(COUNTA(B2:I2)<>8,"Missing","")
A3=A2+1
J3=IF(COUNTA(B3:I3)<>8,"Missing","")
A4=A3+1
J4=IF(COUNTA(B4:I4)<>8,"Missing","")
A5=A4+1
J5=IF(COUNTA(B5:I5)<>8,"Missing","")
A6=A5+1
J6=IF(COUNTA(B6:I6)<>8,"Missing","")
A7=A6+1
J7=IF(COUNTA(B7:I7)<>8,"Missing","")
A8=A7+1
J8=IF(COUNTA(B8:I8)<>8,"Missing","")

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> http://www.excel-jeanie-html.de/index.php?f=1" target="_blank"> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Then I created 2 two data validation (dropdown) lists, one for Cooks and the 2nd for the Other shifts.
So when you select a cell in the range B2:I7 a dropdown arrow is displayed, press the arrow and a list of
names is shown. If you select columns B or C you will get just the Cooks names. When you select columns
D to I you will get just the Other names. I found it handy to keep track of how many times each name is assigned
so I have a formula that does that by each name as show in the first screenshot above (columns K and O).
If this looks like something you can use, let me know and I will provide the formulas and directions how to create
the sheet. I can also provide a copy of the file using Box.com if you prefer so all you have to do is change the names in columns L and N.
Let me know if this something you would like to look at.
Perpa

Upvote 0
thank i like this and truly appreciate it very much but unforunately its not what i was looking for i did try it and it works but im looking for something to specify exactly whats missing for example "missing am 1" and if another shift is missing such as "am 2" its will say Missing am 2

Upvote 0
Steve,
One additional thought with reference to the second screenshot I sent previously, try the following:
In J1, type 'Missing'. Paste the following formula into J2. Then copy that formula down column J to the last Day shown in column A.

Code:
=IF(B:B="","AMCook ","")&IF(C:C="","PMCook ","")&IF(D:D="","AM1 ","")&IF(E:E="","AM2 ","")&IF(F:F="","AM3 ","")&IF(G:G="","PM4 ","")&IF(H:H="","PM5 ","")&IF(I:I="","PM6","")

Adjust the column J width as needed.
Perpa

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back