Help with Error Traps...

largeselection

So I have some code (which I'm sure can be written more elegantly, but we all have to start somewhere haha) and I my error statements don't seem to be doing what I was hoping they would do. Basically, my code copies info from bookA.SheetA to bookB.SheetA and I've repeated it so that it does this for every tab.

So I tried to put in some error buffers in case there is no bookA.SheetC so that it doesn't stop the code from running.

I ran an example and in my example I had two sheets bookA.SheetA, bookA.SheetB. The code successfully copied the info from Sheet A and Sheet B into bookB, and it successfully skipped the code to try and copy Sheet C, but then it fizzled and errored in the code to try and copy Sheet D.

I had initially envisioned that it would hit my on errors and then just go through to the end of the routine.

Here's some code:

Part1:
On Error GoTo Part2:
Windows(obk).Activate
Worksheets("C1").Select

Set oRange = a find statement formula
Range("A1:D10").Select
Selection.Copy

ThisWorkbook.Activate
Sheets("C1").Select
Range("A1").Select

ActiveSheet.Paste

Part 2:
On Error GoTo Part3:
Windows(obk).Activate
Worksheets("C2").Select

Set oRange = a find statement formula
Range("A1:D10").Select
Selection.Copy

ThisWorkbook.Activate
Sheets("C2").Select
Range("A1").Select

ActiveSheet.Paste

Part 3:
On Error GoTo Part4:

etc
etc
etc

Through all parts until the last "Part" where I have

On Error GoTo errorend:

errorend:
Exit Sub

So I envisioned the code going to try Part 1 successfully, then when it goes to part 2 it has the on error goto part 3 first so when it can't find sheet "C2" it errors and goes on to try part 3, which says on error goto part 4 so when it can't find sheet "C3" it goes to part 4, etc, etc, etc until it cycles through to the end and gets to the exit sub.

I guess this does not work though since I keep getting an error.

I'm sure I'm lacking some crucial understanding, but any links/info/direction you can point me in would be much appreciated

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Rather than launching in and finding out half way through that something's missing, you could check that everything you need is in place before you start processing it, and if anything is missing you can issue the user with an error message and go no further.

Upvote 0
Hmmm but I need it to keep going, not spring the user an error. Like there may only be sheets 1,2,3, and 5 in the users workbook, but I don't want it to stop running I just want it to skip over the fact that 4 is missing and continue on to 5 then skip the fact that 6-end are missing. The users won't be able to add in the sheets that are missing. Thanks so much for your input!

Upvote 0
Ah, capito! Okay then, how about this: write a function which checks for the presence of the workbook and worksheet and returns True or False depending on whether they're found or not. Then you can keep your ON ERROR code confined to inside the function: if you trigger an error, you return False; otherwise you return True.

In your main code, you call the function and only process the workbook/worksheet if the function's happy that they exist - like so:-
Code:
If WbWsExist(obk,"C1") Then
   Windows(obk).Activate
   Worksheets("C1").Select
End If

Here's the function:-
Code:
Option Explicit

Public Function WbWsExist(Wb As String, Ws As String) As Boolean

' assume the worst until proven otherwise
  WbWsExist = False

On Error GoTo Trap

Windows(Wb).Activate
  Worksheets(Ws).Select

' if we've got this far then the Wb and Ws both exist
  WbWsExist = True

Exit Function

Trap:
  On Error GoTo 0

End Function
(This would go in a general code module.)

Tested and working here. Any good to you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ah Grazie!

I was able to use what you gave me.

I changed the function to just look for a sheet since I know the wkbk will always be present because of an earlier piece of code.

Thank you again for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juliecooper255

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back