Help with Excel formula

MassSpecGuru

Board Regular
Hi, all!

I'm trying to develop a single formula (that I can use to fill down or across) to replace entering different formulas in every cell of the range, however, I'm running into a little problem and need a little assistance.

Background: In cells C5:I24 are columns of replicate measurements that I need to get some simple statistics on. Intead of typing different formulas "=AVERAGE(C5:C24)", "=AVERAGE(D5:D24)", etc. in cells R5, R6, etc., I want to have just one formula that won't change when I copy or fill down. I have come up with a formula that displays the desired range, however, when I prepend the "AVERAGE" function I get an "#VALUE!" error message:

=TEXT(ADDRESS(5,ROW()-2,4),)&":"&TEXT(ADDRESS(24,ROW()-2,4),)

Thus, if enter the above formula in cell R5 I get "C5:C24" as desired, however, if I enter:

=AVERAGE(TEXT(ADDRESS(5,ROW()-2,4),)&":"&TEXT(ADDRESS(24,ROW()-2,4),))

in R5 I get "#VALUE!" instead of the numerical average.

Any ideas how to correct my formula? If not, any ideas how to do it another way?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

MSG

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
You don't actually need to encase ADDRESS in TEXT as ADDRESS returns text.

You will need to wrap the results of your ADDRESS formulas with INDIRECT.

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(5,ROW()-2,4)&":"&ADDRESS(24,ROW()-2,4)))

Upvote 0
Hi, all!

I'm trying to develop a single formula (that I can use to fill down or across) to replace entering different formulas in every cell of the range, however, I'm running into a little problem and need a little assistance.

Background: In cells C5:I24 are columns of replicate measurements that I need to get some simple statistics on. Intead of typing different formulas "=AVERAGE(C5:C24)", "=AVERAGE(D5:D24)", etc. in cells R5, R6, etc., I want to have just one formula that won't change when I copy or fill down. I have come up with a formula that displays the desired range, however, when I prepend the "AVERAGE" function I get an "#VALUE!" error message:

=TEXT(ADDRESS(5,ROW()-2,4),)&":"&TEXT(ADDRESS(24,ROW()-2,4),)

Thus, if enter the above formula in cell R5 I get "C5:C24" as desired, however, if I enter:

=AVERAGE(TEXT(ADDRESS(5,ROW()-2,4),)&":"&TEXT(ADDRESS(24,ROW()-2,4),))

in R5 I get "#VALUE!" instead of the numerical average.

Any ideas how to correct my formula? If not, any ideas how to do it another way?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

MSG
Not sure why you're using the TEXT function.

Try it like this:

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(5,ROW()-2)&":"&ADDRESS(24,ROW()-2)))

Upvote 0
Thanks, guys! :) You each get an extra drumstick! :LOL:

MSG

P.S. I swear I had already tried the formula you both came up with but it didn't work. I knew it involved the use of INDIRECT but it seemed that it was only returning the value of the cell in the E row, not the average of the entire column of 20 values. Odd. Maybe too much turkey.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Wouldn't this be simpler with OFFSET or INDEX, e.g. in R5 copied down

=AVERAGE(INDEX(C$5:I$24,0,ROWS(R$5:R5)))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back