Help with Function String Syntax

schistkicker

Hello Excel experts, I hope someone on this forum can assist with fixing a function string that works 90% of the time but has two major issues that come up when uncommon values are entered. in the first cell, we have two numerical values separated by a forward slash ("/"), the adjacent has the column has the function string which is to deduct a value that does not change throughout the entire sheet. Here is how this sheet is setup:

1. Cell E3 has the unchanging numerical value
  2. Column D (row 4 to infinity) has the entries that are the initial values to deduct E3
  3. Column E (row 4 to infinity) has the function string that determines how to deduct E3 from Dx

Here is the function string:

=IF(COUNTIF(D4,"*/*"),(LEFT(D4,FIND("/",D4,1)-1)-$E$3&"/"&RIGHT(D4,FIND("/",D4,1)-1)-$E$3),(D4-$E$3))

The function works great when the values entered are 3 or less characters (500/400 or 50/40), but if this deviates to 4 (5000/4000) characters the result is #VALUE!.

I'm not sure if you need additional information, but I could provide if needed. If there is a better way to make the function string work or if the method of entry is what is causing the issue, please help and provide recommendations.

Thank you again!

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Is this what you need?

=IF(COUNTIF(D4,"*/*"),(LEFT(D4,FIND("/",D4,1)-1)-$E$3&"/"&MID(D4,FIND("/",D4,1)+1,99)-$E$3),(D4-$E$3))

Upvote 0
No, I need both the left and right value on either side of "/" to be displayed in the E column. For example, if E3 has a value of 180 and I enter '1000/800 in D4, the resulting expression in E4 should be 820/620. Right now, if I enter as in the previous sentence I get the #VALUE! error return. However, if I modify to make the first value entry (1000) 3 characters instead of 4 (change 1000 to 999) it works fine and does what it is supposed to do: it spits out 819/620.

Upvote 0
No, I need both the left and right value on either side of "/" to be displayed in the E column. For example, if E3 has a value of 180 and I enter '1000/800 in D4, the resulting expression in E4 should be 820/620...
What do you mean by "No"? -- You do not need a formula that does exactly what you want and returns "820/620"?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry, I was answering your question "Is this what you need?". What I do need is to either fix the current function string to work with any number of characters to the left and right of the "/" (shouldn't exceed 4 characters or be less than 2) or I need a new function string that satisfies this required output based on the entry. Sorry if that was not clear.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I was answering your question "Is this what you need?". What I do need is to either fix the current function string to work with any number of characters to the left and right of the "/" (shouldn't exceed 4 characters or be less than 2) or I need a new function string that satisfies this required output based on the entry. Sorry if that was not clear.
To make it short: have you tried putting the formula from Post #2 in cell E4 before replying?

By the way, your original formula works with any number of digits -- if the number of digits to the left of the "/" is the same as the number of digits to the right of it.

Upvote 0
So I set up my sheet like you described and copied in your formula and I don't get #VALUE when I put a large number in. There might be a problem somewhere else on your sheet. What I DID notice is that it was truncating the data on the right half of the "/" because you have a "-1" on it. I changed that to "+1" so you minus one cell on the left and add one on the right. It appears to work in my test sheet.

Code:
=IF(COUNTIF(D4,"*/*"),(LEFT(D4,FIND("/",D4,1)-1)-$E$3&"/"&RIGHT(D4,FIND("/",D4,1)+1)-$E$3),(D4-$E$3))

If you need to see where the "#VALUE" is occurring you need to evaluate your formula and step through it to find the problem.

This will help you:

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...t-a-time-59a201ae-d1dc-4b15-8586-a70aa409b8a7

Upvote 0
Tetra201,
I apologize as I had mistakenly entered the function string into the cell exhibiting the problem (previously entered data further down the column) w/o applying the change to cell location per your new formula. Once I fixed this dumb mistake on my part, your revised function string works perfectly. Thank you. Of note is something interesting I figured out though based on your previous reply, you stated, "your original formula works with any number of digits -- if the number of digits to the left of the "/" is the same as the number of digits to the right of it." made me think a bit and the original function works fine so long as the number of characters before and after the / are identical (3/3, 4/4, etc.). My original issue could have been corrected by inserting 0 in front of 3 characters (0800) when the first entry was 4 characters (1000).

Thanks so much for your help, sorry for mis-entering your first response.

Upvote 0
HackSlash,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately, I still get the same problem with a +1 versus a -1 on the right side for some reason. Probably have something not quite right in my sheet, this has been a hand-me-down file for a couple of years now. I will need to look into this a bit more to investigate the #VALUE! error link you've provided so I can learn how to troubleshoot my function entries. Tetra201's original revised function using the MID option solved the problem right away as soon as I entered the cell information correctly upon review.

I knew this page was the right place to ask my question, thanks to all that responded and helped work through this problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back