Help with index formula with cell references in a closed workbook

alexv

I found an article online that works for what i need when I type out the formula, however, I am having issues setting up the formula to read cell values in my existing workbook with the file name.

What I want to accomplish is bringing in certain values of detailed spreadsheets into a master workbook. I thought if my summary included the file name I could write the Index formula pointing to that file name along with the particular cell reference I need. I am stuck. Below is the original article.

In the image the yellow this is the formula written out that gives me the proper result. I am trying to use a concatenation of the file name in C3 along with reference to the column and row numbers so i can do this quickly rather than typing each formula out or doing copy paste as my spreadsheet will have hundreds/thousands of lines.

Attachments

• tracker.png
    tracker.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 18

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
By only formula, I don't know any way to get values in a closed workbook whick never be opened before.
Workbooks should be opened once to link values even though by VBA (ex: kutools that you refer ).

Upvote 0
To use a cell value for the file name, you will need to use the Indirect function, but that will only work if the other workbook is open.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back