Help with Indirect

Pretty Vacant

Morning,

I have a spreadsheet with a number of worksheets all with data about specific projects. I have created a summary sheet which pulls data from all the worksheets into one place. In order to do this I used the Indirect function. As all the worksheets are set up exactly the same, I created 'helper' grid with worksheet names in column A and the column letter in row 4 so Indirect would know where to look. I used the formula: =IFERROR(INDIRECT(""&$A5&""&"!"&B$4&3),0) and this works great.

My question is this; is it possible to use the indirect as above but without having to create the helper grid and then hiding it?

Many Thanks

P

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Morning,

I have a spreadsheet with a number of worksheets all with data about specific projects. I have created a summary sheet which pulls data from all the worksheets into one place. In order to do this I used the Indirect function. As all the worksheets are set up exactly the same, I created 'helper' grid with worksheet names in column A and the column letter in row 4 so Indirect would know where to look. I used the formula: =IFERROR(INDIRECT(""&$A5&""&"!"&B$4&3),0) and this works great.

My question is this; is it possible to use the indirect as above but without having to create the helper grid and then hiding it?

Many Thanks

P
Hi P,

Using your example, lets say for instance A5 contains Sheet2, B4 contains A, your indirect formula is basically saying "show me the contents of Sheet2!A3". Taking that into consideration could you not just replace your indirect formula with =Sheet2!A3 instead?

Upvote 0
Hi P,

Using your example, lets say for instance A5 contains Sheet2, B4 contains A, your indirect formula is basically saying "show me the contents of Sheet2!A3". Taking that into consideration could you not just replace your indirect formula with =Sheet2!A3 instead?

Hi Fishboy (we meet again) & Pretty Vacant,
I don't think so, i've try recreating the scenario, with sheet 2 contain text, and sheet 3 contain number, and with using P's formula it get the right result, while directly refer to those sheet, it will result showing only from 1 sheet.

but, if each sheet have same template & location, why don't you try something like

=SUM(Sheet2:Sheet4!D2)

it will sum D2, from sheet 2,3,and 4, at the same time.

2yzitc6.jpg
[/IMG]

thanks a lot
warm regards,

Adrian

Upvote 0
No I don't see any way to use Indirect without the grid of sheetnames and column letter.

You could possibly get rid of the column of sheetnames IF your sheet names have some sort of numerical pattern.
Like literally Sheet1 Sheet2 Sheet3 etc..

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennlynn

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back