Help with LARGE Funtion

vgmurthy

Hello All,
This is my first post in this forum and really excited that I found this forum. :)

I tried searching for, before posting my below question, however couldnt get a clue to proceed further with my problem.

Here is my problem.

Background- I need to collect the consecutive 5 digit value from a given cell

I have a Cell A1 that has a content as below

java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:XXX1

Im using the formulae as =LARGE(VALUE(--MID(E120,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(E120))),5)*1),1)

Upon an F9 on VALUE(--MID(E120,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(E120))),5)*1) I get as below

{#VALUE!;46151;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;#VALUE!;1}

But when I use LARGe function to pick the first largest from this Array, it return as below (F9 on the above formula)

#VALUE!

Same is the result of the formula.

Can you please correct me where I need to correct. My intention is get the Highest value. I tried with <mid(e121,row(indirect("1:"&len(e121))),5)+0)), but="" it="" returns="" a="" value="" of="" 1,="" as="" the="" first="" hit="" for="" no="" match="" 10^5="" is="" 1.=""
=LOOKUP(10^5,MID(E121,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(E121))),5)+0), but this returns the value as 1. (Think it couldnt find a match for 10^5 and hence it returned the first hit of 1)

Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Venu</mid(e121,row(indirect("1:"&len(e121))),5)+0)),>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
For your LARGE formula, you'll need to a condition that checks whether each value within the returned array is a numerical value. However, there may be a more efficient way to extract your 5 digit number. Does the number always start from the second character position? If not, is it always preceded by the pound (#) symbol?

Upvote 0
Hi Domenic,
Thanks for your reply. The position is random in nature and can occur anywhere within the cell. Also it doesn't preceded with any symbol.

Regards,
Venu

Upvote 0
If the 5 digit number is always the first set of numbers that occur in the text string, you can simply use the following formula...

=MID(A1,MIN(FIND({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"0123456789")),5)

Upvote 0
Hi Domenic,
My number string (length 5 occurs anywhere within my cell. Please note that my cell may also a set of 2 number or 3 numbers (length). The formula that you have given is pulling the records when the first hit for a number is encountered.

Regards,
Venu

Upvote 0
If your text string does not contain a number that is greater than 5 digits in length, try...

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","x"),ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1):INDEX($A:$A,LEN(A2)-5+1)),5)+0)

Note that if there are 2 or more numbers that are 5 digits in length, the formula will return the last occurrence.

Does this help?

Upvote 0
=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,MID(SUBSTITUTE(A2," ","x"),ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1):INDEX($A:$A,LEN(A2)-5+1)),5)+0)

I'm not a massive fan of this LOOKUP set-up. Although it will work in the vast majority of cases, it is not guaranteed to do so.

For example, if A2 contains:

#46151java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetJun23MouseEventjava.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEventjava.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:XXX1

then, given of course the appropriate date/language settings, this formula will return 45078, not 46151.

Or, if A2 contains:

#46151java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retarget.1E07MouseEventjava.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEventjava.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:XXX1

then the result will be 1000000.

Very unlikely events, you might argue, though perhaps not impossible.

More rigorous, though longer, is, for example:

=MID(A2,MATCH(7,MMULT(ABS(ISNUMBER(0+MID(MID("ζ"&A2&"ζ",ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,LEN(A2)-4)),7),{1,2,3,4,5,6,7},1))-{1,0,0,0,0,0,1}),{1;1;1;1;1;1;1}),0),5)

Regards

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@ XOR LX

While, as you say, those events are unlikely, any risk no matter how small should be eliminated. So thanks for pointing it out!

Cheers!

Upvote 0
@Domenic

Ah, wait. I'd forgotten about an idea of Lori's which might just rescue the LOOKUP set-up with regards to these date/scientific strings:

=-LOOKUP(1,-(MID(A2,ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,LEN(A2)-4)),5)&"**0"))

(I took the liberty of negating the lookup_vector as well so as to avoid using "BigNum").

Regards

Upvote 0
@ XOR LX

I didn't know that two consecutive asterisks could be used to convert a value to scientific notation. Interesting!

Also, while it's unlikely that we'll have spaces within the text string, such as...

java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:XXX 1

...we can eliminate the risk by replacing them with an alpha-character. Actually, I think we can simply trim the text string...

=-LOOKUP(1,-(MID(TRIM(A2),ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,LEN(TRIM(A2))-4)),5)&"**0"))

Or, with BigNum defined as 9.99999999999999E+307...

=LOOKUP(BigNum,(MID(TRIM(A2),ROW(INDEX(A:A,1):INDEX(A:A,LEN(TRIM(A2))-4)),5)&"**0")+0)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joaquim_Baptista

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back