Help with Linking cells and formatting not copying across!

salsarai

I am linking cells together across different worksheets. I am having a problem with the formatting not coming across. Two examples:

1. In the source cell, I have bolding and regular font within the same cell. When it links across to the new cell, the whole cell comes across as bolded.

2. I have a product name with a ® behind it in the source cell. The ® is in a smaller font than the product name and as superscript. When I link that cell across, the formatting is gone and reverts to the formatting of the product name only.

I can usually figure things out but I am definitely stumped on this one. Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!!

-Sarai

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
YOu may have to copy/paste formats to make sure the format for the whole cell holds. The linking of the cell usually brings in the value and not the format...

Upvote 0
Even worse! I tried it on the same sheet, and the format did not carry across to the Pasted cell. However...

Using Excel 2002, when I did a Ctrl+x (Cut), I got the option to click on an object in the Clipboad, with the additional option of using either the original cell's formatting of the new cell's formatting. Using the first, one can Paste as many times as desired, and the format carries across. Could this, perhaps, point to a method to do what you need?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike575

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back