Help with Looping through a vlookup xl2010

teach_me_VBA

I'm new to coding VBA and have coded a good amount of what I'm trying to do, but there are a few things I'm having problems with coding. I think I might be able to figure out a few of the other issues I'm having with my code if I can first figure out how to loop through a vlookup to complete what I'm trying to do. I'm going to lay out my thought process with how I did my coding below:

First:
I wrote a series of functions to auto-fill cells based on a drop-down list I created. Below are the examples of 2 function codes I used for the multiple functions I created:

Function LockboxName(Prodnum)
LockboxName = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Prodnum, [RBSWaveData], 7, 0)
End Function

Function NumberofPayees(Prodnum)
NumberofPayees = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(Prodnum, Range("RBSWaveData"), 99, 0)
End Function

Second:
I modified specific cell information to client specific request, for example:

="Worksource: 0000"&""&TCLockBox(B1)

Third:
Because I didn't want to ruin what I coded and was working correctly, I created a new tab titled "Payee Practice" & Module and the cell that I would like to begin adding the number of payees to is B14. From what I was able to figure out, I was able to come up with some code that works, but is not exactly correct.

Sub VlookupLoopExample()
Dim i, k As Long

With Sheets("payee practice")
i = 14
For k = 1 To 1
.Cells.Range("B14").FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(R3C10,LB_510818,2)"
.Cells.Range("B15").FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(R3C10,LB_510818,3)"
.Cells.Range("B16").FormulaR1C1 = "=VLOOKUP(R3C10,LB_510818,4)"
i = i + 4
Next k
End With
End Sub

Ideally, I would like to be able to loop through the range of accounts and beginning with cell B14, insert the total number of payees, varies by account, down column B and if the next cell is not blank, insert a new row for each new payee until the vlookup returns "". I think I'm good with inserting a new row:

ActiveCell.Offset(1).EntireRow.Insert

just need help with looping through the list of payees using a vlookup beginning with cell B14. Thanks.

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Below is some additional information that I hope helps show what I'm trying to do:

The first 2 columns is showing how the section initially looks. When I use the drop-down list and select account 12345, then the list is created as shown in the next 2 columns. And then finally, when I select a new account, 98765, then the results would look like the last 2 columns.

Account xxxxx Account 12345 Account 98765
Payees x Payees 7 Payees 4
Payee1 Payee1
Payee2 Payee2
Payee3 Payee3
Invalid Payees x Payee4 Payee4
Payee5
Payee6 Invalid Payees None
Payee7

Invalid Payees None

Below is what I coded first using the DO LOOP function, but was a circular reference that I had to manually stop.

Sub AddValidPayee2()

Dim validpayee As Variant
Dim ValPayee As String

Worksheets("payee practice").Activate

Range("B14").End(xlDown).Offset(1, 0).Select

Do
If ActiveCell <> "" Then
ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert
End If

If Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(ActiveSheet.Range("j3"), [LB_510818], 2, 0) <> "" Then
ValPayee = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(ActiveSheet.Range("j3"), [LB_510818], 2, 0)
ElseIf Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(ActiveSheet.Range("j3"), [LB_510818], 3, 0) <> "" Then
ValPayee = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(ActiveSheet.Range("j3"), [LB_510818], 3, 0)
Else: ActiveCell.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(ActiveSheet.Range("j3"), [LB_510818], 4, 0)
ActiveCell.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(ActiveSheet.Range("j3"), [LB_510818], 4, 0)
End If
ActiveCell.Value = ValPayee
ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Value = validpayee
ActiveCell.Offset(2, 0).Value = validpayee

Loop Until ActiveCell.Value = ""
End Sub

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back