help with making cell formula appear on the condition of another cell

curiouscoder

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
click here for my excel file
so i need some help please guys.

1) first of all im not sure how to remove the error of "There are one or more circular references where a formula refers to one cell....."

2) the second sheet is an automated changelog. where/how can i edit the macro code to cover the entire sheet rather than a specific range

3) THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: when you select a value on the status column it records the name of the user in each of the US columns. as you all can see all the SS and ES columns are date values but I only want those date values to appears AFTER a status has been selected and remain remain blank if the status cell is unselected, making the sheet have a cleaner and more pleasant aesthetic.

any help would be very appreciated.

I am very new to all this advanced stuff so please go easy and the vba code I used was found mostly on youtube and other forums so dumbing down the explanations would really help.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
1. Q3 has this formula:
Excel Formula:
=IF(F3=2,NOW(),Q3)
This is repeated in many columns, all the way down the column.

It appears that you are trying to deliberately use a circular reference to freeze a date/time when F3 becomes 2. This is a legitimate technique (a little bit of a hack but Excel doesn't mind) but it will give you a circular reference warning. To address this:
  1. Click File > Options > Formulas.
  2. In the Calculation options section, select the Enable iterative calculation check box.
However, since you are already using macros in this file, I would consider doing this with a macro instead.

2. I don't know what "cover the entire sheet" means. What does your changelog do now? What do you want it to do instead?

3. Always ask the most important question first. :)

Use a formula like this in those columns. This is for column U. Add the red part to wrap around the existing formula.
Rich (BB code):
=IF(F3="","",IF(F3=3,NOW(),U3))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back