Help with Marco - how do I find and delete the whole row if value exists in both columns

crag8119

Hi,

In Columns O & P I have values like below:

0R1177092
0R1177093
0R1177227
R1178634R1178511
0R1178185
0R1178634
R11795550

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I need a Marco to find and delete the whole row , if the same values exists in both columns.

For example: R1178634 exists in column O and on a different row column P. I want to delete the whole rows.

Delete row 4 in Columns O
and Delete row 6 in Columns P as value R1178634 exists in both columns.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
These are the assumptions I have made

1. IF R12345 is in O27 and FIRST matched R12345 is in P5 then delete rows 5 and 27 (do not look for any other matches)
- this means that a maximum of 2 rows are deleted each time (only one row would be deleted if matched value is in same row as the one being tested)
- effectively deleting "matched pairs of values"

2. Ignore balnk cells in column O when trying to find a match

3. Ignore cells = 0 (zero) in column O when trying to find a match

Test in a COPY of your workbook!

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub DeleteRows()
    Dim c1  As Range, c2 As Range, rng As Range, r As Long
    Dim rC      As Long:        rC = Rows.Count
    Dim nextR   As Long:        nextR = 2                               [COLOR=#006400][I]'first row with values[/I][/COLOR]
With ActiveSheet
Recurse:
    r = WorksheetFunction.Max(.Range("O" & rC).End(xlUp).Row, .Range("P" & rC).End(xlUp).Row)
    Set rng = .Range("O" & nextR, .Range("O" & [COLOR=#ff0000]r[/COLOR]))                      [I][COLOR=#006400]'[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]r[/COLOR][COLOR=#006400] decreases as rows are deleted[/COLOR][/I]
    For Each c1 In rng
        If c1 <> "" And c1 <> 0 Then
            On Error Resume Next                                        [I][COLOR=#006400]'find a matching value[/COLOR][/I]
                Set c2 = rng.Offset(, 1).Find(c1, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
            On Error GoTo 0
                If Not c2 Is Nothing Then
                    If c2.Row < c1.Row Then nextR = c1.Row - 1         [COLOR=#006400][I] 'is a row above c1 about to be deleted?[/I][/COLOR]
                    If c2.Row = c1.Row Then r = r - 1 Else r = r - 2    '[I][COLOR=#006400]how many rows are being deleted[/COLOR][/I]
                    Union(c1, c2).EntireRow.Delete                     [COLOR=#006400][I] 'delete row(s)[/I][/COLOR]
                    Set c2 = Nothing
                    GoTo Recurse
                End If
        End If
    Next c1
End With

End Sub

BEWARE
Please note that I made a couple of minor adjustments to code after first posting!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
These are the assumptions I have made

1. IF R12345 is in O27 and FIRST matched R12345 is in P5 then delete rows 5 and 27 (do not look for any other matches)
- this means that a maximum of 2 rows are deleted each time (only one row would be deleted if matched value is in same row as the one being tested)
- effectively deleting "matched pairs of values"

2. Ignore balnk cells in column O when trying to find a match

3. Ignore cells = 0 (zero) in column O when trying to find a match

Test in a COPY of your workbook!

Code:
Option Explicit
Sub DeleteRows()
    Dim c1  As Range, c2 As Range, rng As Range, r As Long
    Dim rC      As Long:        rC = Rows.Count
    Dim nextR   As Long:        nextR = 2                               [COLOR=#006400][I]'first row with values[/I][/COLOR]
With ActiveSheet
Recurse:
    r = WorksheetFunction.Max(.Range("O" & rC).End(xlUp).Row, .Range("P" & rC).End(xlUp).Row)
    Set rng = .Range("O" & nextR, .Range("O" & [COLOR=#ff0000]r[/COLOR]))                      [I][COLOR=#006400]'[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]r[/COLOR][COLOR=#006400] decreases as rows are deleted[/COLOR][/I]
    For Each c1 In rng
        If c1 <> "" And c1 <> 0 Then
            On Error Resume Next                                        [I][COLOR=#006400]'find a matching value[/COLOR][/I]
                Set c2 = rng.Offset(, 1).Find(c1, LookIn:=xlValues, lookat:=xlWhole)
            On Error GoTo 0
                If Not c2 Is Nothing Then
                    If c2.Row < c1.Row Then nextR = c1.Row - 1         [COLOR=#006400][I] 'is a row above c1 about to be deleted?[/I][/COLOR]
                    If c2.Row = c1.Row Then r = r - 1 Else r = r - 2    '[I][COLOR=#006400]how many rows are being deleted[/COLOR][/I]
                    Union(c1, c2).EntireRow.Delete                     [COLOR=#006400][I] 'delete row(s)[/I][/COLOR]
                    Set c2 = Nothing
                    GoTo Recurse
                End If
        End If
    Next c1
End With

End Sub

BEWARE
Please note that I made a couple of minor adjustments to code after first posting!!

Great thank you,

If I want to delete rows from A:P if it finds matches in O-P, do I just adjust the max range?

Upvote 0
Yes, thank you. However how do I get it to delete the whole rows data not just O & P rows? I need it to delete A-P if possible ?

Thank you again

Upvote 0
Running the code does that for me
What exactly is the code doing when you run it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Yongle,

Where in the code can I add the range O30:P6000? I only want it to look for matches in that range and delete.

Thank you

Upvote 0
To begin at row 30

Replace
Code:
nextR = 2
With
Code:
nextR = 30

Is there anything below row 6000 or is 6000 simply a big enough number to always include your range?

Upvote 0
To begin at row 30

Replace
Code:
nextR = 2
With
Code:
nextR = 30

Is there anything below row 6000 or is 6000 simply a big enough number to always include your range?

6000 , as nothing below that. At the moment I have to keep running the code as it deletes 2-or three matches at a time. No a big problem to be honest, however is there any way to loop it to keep running until there are no matches in column O and P?

Thank you for your time and code it's a massive help and I am learning :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fuddy_Duddy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back