Help with Multiple Users

tripppin

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I did some searching but did not find what I was looking for. Sorry if this has already been answered.
I want to make a log in excel that will auto-fill certain areas. The only problem is legally it needs to have restricted access/ the ability to prove they modified the log. The perfect situation would be 10 users, each user has their own individual password and depending on who logs in will dictate how the form can be filled out. Like once they put in their password the only initials they can enter are theirs.
Another option is that excel would put a "Last Modified by" comment with the persons user name each time the workbook is modified on the tabs that were modified. This would document that a user under an permitted login modified the document.

I am very familiar with excel, so would like to continue with it and not learn another program. Is this possible in excel or should I be looking in another direction?

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
This is possible and there are several threads on this board about it. Long story short...nothing in Excel can be kept from someone who knows what they're doing...but for general users this can be accomplished.
Here's a little something that I've been working on.

This sheet will require users to log in and only see specific sheets. It is partially based on concepts from others…then I took it a few steps further.

Some of the features include:
  • It will default to the username of whoever is logged into the computer.
  • Users are allowed 3 attempts to log in before the app closes.
  • Users cannot close out of the login form.
  • Users and administrators can be defined within the application.
  • Users and administrators can change their passwords for the apps.
    • Passwords can be alphanumeric. No other restrictions have been put in place.
  • Successful logins are tracked for audit purposes.
  • Logged in user is shown in the status bar.
  • Administrators define which tabs a user can see. The rest are automatically hidden.
    • This is currently set to allow up to 6 sheets for each user.
  • As new tabs are added (or names changed), an administrator can trigger an update to the data validations used for allowing users to see specific tabs. Alternatively, it will update the next time the sheet is opened.
  • Users will not be able to unhide sheets on their own. They will only see what the admin allows them to see
  • ‘SaveAs’ is only allowed for Admins. Users can only save.
  • The VBProject is locked.
  • There is a recovery feature where if the admins forget their password, they can still log into the app to update passwords, edit the workbook and get the password for the VB project.
  • Upon closing the app, all tabs are hidden to get ready for the next user to open the app and log in.
    • In case the app crashes before tabs are hidden, they will also be hidden upon opening the sheet.
As you're using it, if you think of other useful features, I'd love to hear about them to create the next iteration of this.

admin ID and pass: Joe / 9999
Recovery pass: Superadmin / AdminPass

Upvote 0
That's great, nice build! I'm going to attempt something similar, but with a user dashboard. This will fill in areas of separate sheets with a date/time/username depending on what checkbox is selected from the dashboard. Save some time at work writing everything out.

Thank you for the example. Can share a demo of mine once I get time to work on it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back