Help with stacked bar chart showing annual call activity?

ms30594

Working on a project to show text and voice call activity between sales reps and customers. Here is a small sample of what the data looks like:

view
znMUYyO.png

The goal is to display call activity for each day of the year to show trends and volume of activity. The horizontal axis will be day of the year and show an empty space if there is no data. For days with data, the options are: text message in, text message out, call in, call out, pict video MSG in, pict video MSG out.

Each day will show the total number of actions. For the 12/09/11 example above, the total number of actions is 4, 3 text messages out, 1 in. The stacked bar graph for that day will show 3 messages out in one color and 1 message in in another color. For other action types, same rules apply, just a different color.

I have been beating myself up on this and just haven't been able to nail it. My guess is that it requires some formulas or scripting to count each day's activity and use that value versus simply selecting it using the menu-driven features. I am thinking that 365 bars across the page may be excessive so I may break it down by quarters but all of the rules above apply.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions/recommendations/solution.

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
With a pivot table you can easily group your data by Quarters and create quick pivot charts:

Download the file

vQLdQwx.png

9CgnO4k.png

With a bit more effort you can include the totals:

qH3YOOb.png

If you want to show the monthly trends then you can group by months and create a line chart. The one shown below is a panel chart showing all 3 types divided by In and Out in 1 chart but you could use again a pivot table and make 3 individual charts per each type:

CqAa9QZ.png

Upvote 0
Hi, I created a custom combination: clustered & stacked column chart from the data; however the positive data labels (green sections) are all reading zeros and not the values. The negative variances (red) are reading correctly. Here is a copy of the date table.

MonthActual TotalGoalBase Var.Pos Var.Neg Var.Variance
Jul-17501005050-50
Aug-1712015012030-30
Sep-172001751752525
Oct-172102002001010
Nov-1722025022030-30
Dec-1744353599
Jan-1847404077
Feb-1854505044
Mar-185963594-4
Apr-186370637-7
May-186875687-7
Jun-18751507575-75

<colgroup><col><col><col><col span="5"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Please help! It will not allow me to paste or screen shot a pic of the chart.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaliya13

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back