HELP!! with SUBSTITUTE FUNCTION within an AVERAGE FUNTION. taking < values as the value and not as zero and then averaging within the same formula

Bigr2

I will try to explain my issue: I am being required to start sending a Monthly Monitoring Report to the State electronically. This report has always been done in excel and I have always reported my data in a manner where it is useful to me in other areas. The data is laboratory analysis data that is full of < values due to certain detection levels. The state report will make all of my < values (<20, <0.005) into zeros, which is what they want, however I would like to export the data to another workbook that will take all of my < values as the detection level (so <20 will need to reference 20 when averaging and not zero) for other record keeping purposes. On another report I do once every 5 years I cant use < values as zero, I have to use the detection level itself.

Ok so now the background is out of the way, If I have an entire column of <20 and other values, I want to average the entire column (skipping blank cells) with the formula seeing the <20's as 20, but visually being able to still see all the < values for reference. The closest I have come to accomplishing this is with the formula =(AVERAGE(SUBSTITUTE(RANGE OF CELLS,"<","")*1)) with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER to make it an array. This does exactly what I want it to do, but if there is a blank cell in the range it throws and error (#VALUE!). We do not collect data every day of the Month so it is essential that it skip the blank cells. I cannot change the formatting from the parent workbook so it will export or copy and paste to the states electronic submittal system. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Awesome!! I will give that a try when I get to the office tomorrow. I do greatly appreciate your time and knowledge.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
You're welcome. Let me know how it works for you.

Upvote 0
<20, 20, 30, 50 = desired displayed average "28"

Oops!! Thought I had typed 40 instead of 50 with that example, Although 50 should have been a nice round figure "30" for an example. Lol

Upvote 0
Ok, That formula works great as long as all of the cells are filled, but if there are any blank cells throughout the range it will not display a <20 even if the data is all <20.

<20, <20, blank cell, <20 = Formula outputs average of "20" (need it to be <20)
<20, <20, <20, <20 = Formula outputs average of "<20" (correct) : )

Very impressive Excel skills, I'd never of gotten close. I don't want to be too much trouble, I can always manually enter the "<20" in the average cell for the few times a year that I might run into that situation.

Upvote 0
I'll play with it. It shouldn't be much more to the formula.

Upvote 0
And here it is, change ROWS( ... ) to COUNTA( ... ):

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:A20,"=<20")=ROWS(A1:A20),"<20",AVERAGE(IF(A1:A20<>"",SUBSTITUTE(A1:A20,"<","")+0)))

To

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:A20,"=<20")=COUNTA(A1:A20),"<20",AVERAGE(IF(A1:A20<>"",SUBSTITUTE(A1:A20,"<","")+0)))

CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

Upvote 0
Hello. I am having a very similar problem. Except for me the cells that I need to be averaged are not in a nice neat range. Instead of something like B9:B39 it is B9,B19,B29,B39. How can I make the formula work?

We do 4 tests a year, so tests that have not yet been done are blank cells. And some cells (due to reporting levels) are values with < sign. When I average I want a number like <0.00020 to be treated as 0.00020. I will include a screen shot. So, for this example, how can I get an average of all 4 Cadmium cells where the blank cells are ignored and the value <0.00020 is treated like 0.00020. Thanks!
1596832971652.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back