Help with Truck Load sheet

sampson32

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I need some help/advice on a project I will be starting shortly. It’s very complicated.

We make and distribute lintels that consist of several different lengths/weights to our several branches.

The shipping department receives an excel spreadsheet (form) listing the quantities of specific lintels wanted.

Then the shipping department lists the different lintels and quantities in specific positions on an excel diagram (depicting the surface of a flat bed trailer) showing the workers exactly how each trailer must be loaded so the weight is distributed as evenly as possible.

The lintels are usually stacked 5 to a row.

This is a truncated example of the form with the trailer depiction – in this example 120 lintels (40 each of 3 different sizes) are ordered and the lintels placed on the trailer with the largest/heaviest to the front evenly distributed on both sides (5 lintels to a row/4 rows high) then the next size/weight down – again evenly distributed on both sides of the trailer.

On a fully loaded trailer we will place the largest/heaviest on the front and rear and work our way in to the center.

Considering the seemingly endless variations/combinations that are possible – I don’t know if automating this procedure in VBA is possible or even where to start.

If some kind soul has any ideas or can direct me to an existing post or website that can be of some assistance I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you,

Vinnie
Truck Sample.xls
ABCDEFGHI
2QUANFTIN
1420-7'6REG20-5'10REG20-4'6REG
22FRONTREAR
2320-7'6REG20-5'10REG20-4'6REG
Sheet1

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
It can be done. I have seen similiar algorithms for cutting wood. For example, the best combination of cuts taken from a standard stock dimension to fill an order. Very similiar to your problem. This would be a great challenge of the month question. I'll mention it to Von Pookster. The actual programming is out of my league. Search Google for "Knapsack Algorithm". I think this is what you will need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelError

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back