Help with VBA syntax

JARichard74

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have this formula. I keep getting application-defined or object-defined error 1004

VBA Code:
.Range(.Cells(k * z + j + 3 - z, 2), .Cells(k * z + j + 3 - z, 2)).Formula = "=XLOOKUP(Price!$A" & (k * z + j + 3 - z) & ",Bids!R1:BA1,XLOOKUP(Price!$A$" & (k * z + 3 - z) & ",Bids!I3:I8,OFFSET(Bids!R3:BA8,0,6)),,2)"

That I want to change as follows:
Bids!R1:BA1 refers to Bids!Cells(1, 18), Cells(1, lColumn)
Bids!I3:I8 refers to Bids!Cells(3, 8), Cells(lRow, 8)
Bids!R3:BA8 refers to Bids!Cells(3, 18), Cells(lRow, lColumn)

Where
lRow = Range("I1").End(xlDown).Row
lColumn = Range("A2").End(xlToRight).Column

Thanks

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
The ranges within your line of code (eg .Range and .Cells) are not qualified. You are supposed to use the With ... End With control structure.

VBA Code:
With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1")
    .Range(.Cells(k * z + j + 3 - z, 2), .Cells(k * z + j + 3 - z, 2)).Formula = "=XLOOKUP(Price!$A" & (k * z + j + 3 - z) & ",Bids!R1:BA1,XLOOKUP(Price!$A$" & (k * z + 3 - z) & ",Bids!I3:I8,OFFSET(Bids!R3:BA8,0,6)),,2)"
End With

Upvote 0
The ranges within your line of code (eg .Range and .Cells) are not qualified. You are supposed to use the With ... End With control structure.

VBA Code:
With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1")
End With
It is. I get a syntax error in the Formula
VBA Code:
With Worksheets("Price")
For k = 1 To y 'y = Number of Price criteria
    For j = 1 To z - 1 'z-1 = Number of Proponents
    .Range(.Cells(k * z + j + 3 - z, 2), .Cells(k * z + j + 3 - z, 2)).Formula = "=XLOOKUP(Price!$A" & (k * z + j + 3 - z) & ",Bids!R1:BA1,XLOOKUP(Price!$A$" & (k * z + 3 - z) & ",Bids!I3:I11,OFFSET(Bids!R3:BA11,0,6)),,2)"
    Next j
Next k
End With

Upvote 0
It is. I get a syntax error in the Formula
VBA Code:
With Worksheets("Price")
For k = 1 To y 'y = Number of Price criteria
    For j = 1 To z - 1 'z-1 = Number of Proponents
    .Range(.Cells(k * z + j + 3 - z, 2), .Cells(k * z + j + 3 - z, 2)).Formula = "=XLOOKUP(Price!$A" & (k * z + j + 3 - z) & ",Bids!R1:BA1,XLOOKUP(Price!$A$" & (k * z + 3 - z) & ",Bids!I3:I11,OFFSET(Bids!R3:BA11,0,6)),,2)"
    Next j
Next k
End With
Syntax error when I try to go to the last row and last column instead of the specified ranges

Upvote 0
I think this is what you're trying to do?

VBA Code:
'Values for testing purposes only
k = 2
j = 4
Z = 3
RowNo = k * Z + j + 3 - Z   '=10 here
lRow = 12
lColumn = 30

With Worksheets("Price")
    '....
    .Range("B" & RowNo).Formula2 = "=XLOOKUP(Price!$A" & RowNo & ",Bids!R1:" & Cells(1, lColumn).Address & ",XLOOKUP(Price!$A$" & RowNo & ",Bids!I3:I" & lRow & ",Bids!R3:" & Cells(lRow, lColumn).Address & "),,2)"
    '....
End With

which for the test values shown, will generate the formula:

B10: =XLOOKUP(Price!$A10,Bids!R1:$AD$1,XLOOKUP(Price!$A$10,Bids!I3:I12,Bids!R3:$AD$12),,2)

It's not clear why you're using OFFSET, and the formula won't work as written, so I have stripped it out for the moment.

Upvote 0
I think this is what you're trying to do?

VBA Code:
k = 2
j = 4
Z = 3
lRow = 12
lColumn = 30

With Worksheets("Price")
    '....
    .Range("B" & RowNo).Formula2 = "=XLOOKUP(Price!$A" & RowNo & ",Bids!R1:" & Cells(1, lColumn).Address & ",XLOOKUP(Price!$A$" & RowNo & ",Bids!I3:I" & lRow & ",Bids!R3:" & Cells(lRow, lColumn).Address & "),,2)"
    '....
End With

which for the test values shown, will generate the formula:

B10: =XLOOKUP(Price!$A10,Bids!R1:$AD$1,XLOOKUP(Price!$A$10,Bids!I3:I12,Bids!R3:$AD$12),,2)

It's not clear why you're using OFFSET, and the formula won't work as written, so I have stripped it out for the moment.
As an example, I want to match the Description on another Sheet/Table (See Clipboard02) with the description on the sheet called Bids(See Clipboard01), then match the vendor from the same other sheet to this sheet called Bids. At the intersection, offset to get the matching price in Column X. The formula works perfectly at my end but only for the sample sheet Bids I had which contains 9 descriptions and 4 vendors. I need the formula to adjust if I have more or fewer vendors and more or fewer Descriptions

Attachments

• Clipboard01.png
    Clipboard01.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Clipboard02.png
    Clipboard02.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
You can offset 6 columns like this:

VBA Code:
Const OFFSET = 6

k = 2
j = 4
Z = 3
lRow = 12
lColumn = 30
With Worksheets("Price")
    '....
    .Range("B" & RowNo).Formula2 = "=OFFSET(XLOOKUP(Price!$A" & RowNo & ",Bids!R1:" & Cells(1, lColumn).Address & ",XLOOKUP(Price!$A$" & RowNo & ",Bids!I3:I" & lRow & ",Bids!R3:" & Cells(lRow, lColumn).Address & ",,2)),," & OFFSET & ")"
    'OR
    .Range("B" & RowNo).Formula2 = "=INDEX(XLOOKUP(Price!$A$" & RowNo & ",Bids!I3:I" & lRow & ",Bids!R3:" & Cells(lRow, lColumn).Address & ",,2),MATCH(Price!$A" & RowNo & ",Bids!R1:" & Cells(1, lColumn).Address & ",)+" & OFFSET & ")"
    '....
End With
Based on your original post, this is using the same lookup_value for both horizontal and vertical lookups. You'll need to adjust these references as required.

Upvote 0
Solution
You can offset 6 columns like this:

VBA Code:
Const OFFSET = 6

k = 2
j = 4
Z = 3
lRow = 12
lColumn = 30
With Worksheets("Price")
    '....
    .Range("B" & RowNo).Formula2 = "=OFFSET(XLOOKUP(Price!$A" & RowNo & ",Bids!R1:" & Cells(1, lColumn).Address & ",XLOOKUP(Price!$A$" & RowNo & ",Bids!I3:I" & lRow & ",Bids!R3:" & Cells(lRow, lColumn).Address & ",,2)),," & OFFSET & ")"
    'OR
    .Range("B" & RowNo).Formula2 = "=INDEX(XLOOKUP(Price!$A$" & RowNo & ",Bids!I3:I" & lRow & ",Bids!R3:" & Cells(lRow, lColumn).Address & ",,2),MATCH(Price!$A" & RowNo & ",Bids!R1:" & Cells(1, lColumn).Address & ",)+" & OFFSET & ")"
    '....
End With
Based on your original post, this is using the same lookup_value for both horizontal and vertical lookups. You'll need to adjust these references as required.
Thanks, I will test it tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradel

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back