Help with VBA to allow user input in to cell with formula

Phone_Guy

Hi all,
I'm trying to make a worksheet to help me size the parts for cabinet doors. I've made it functional but I was trying to make a bit faster to enter the data and this is where I got a little stumped.
Every door has 2 Rails (horizontal pieces), 2 Stiles (vertical pieces) and one raised or flat panel. Excel calculates the lengths of the rails and stiles as well as the panel size based on the opening size, rail width, stile width, reveal size, and panel expansion room. The above are entered one at a time into their corresponding columns. What I'd like to to is have a "master" rail width and stile width that I'd set and have that be entered automatically when I started to fill in the other info in that row.This I can do but.... I'd also like to be able to adjust the stile width and rail width on a per item basis without changing the "master". Lets say a job I have will use 30 doors with 51mm rails and stiles but a pantry door might have larger rails and stiles. I'd like to change those few doors and keep it on the same cut list. In order to do this I'd have to be able to manually enter the data into the cells that have been pointed to the "master" width. Of course once I do this, the previous formula is gone.

I know I could add another column "add to stile / rails" and sum the two, but I was hoping to learn a better way. Perhaps some VBA? I have no experience when it comes to that but perhaps I could learn something new.
For reference: master rail width is $B$1, rail width is I3. I enter "51" into B1 and then I3 has =IF(A3="",(""),($B$1)). I3 is then used in other cells to provide me with a cut list. Works well until I want to change the rail width.
Any ideas?

Chris

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back