Help with VLOOKUP possibly

clares

Hi All

I am struggling with a IF and VLOOKUP (I'm not sure if this is the best option, perhaps someone may have a better suggestion).

What I am trying to do is return a value from a list to another list, where the names are matched.

I have one workbook with two worksheets. On the first worksheet I have a list of 12 names using 12 rows, say A1:A12 (this will never change), and on the second worksheet I have one column say Column A1:A6 with 6 names and in column C1:C6, I have the remaining 6 names. This is one team playing another team. In the next 12 columns, the first 6 columns (D1:J6) are scores ect for the team in column A, and the foloowing 6 columns (K1:O6) relate to the team named in column C.

What I want to do is use the formula which takes the name from the list on the first worksheet, matches it with the name in column A of the second worksheet, if it finds a match, then returns a value from column D:J, if it doesn't find a match in column A, looks in Column C, if it finds a match in column C returns a value from columns K:O. There will always be a match in either column A or C

Is this possible please?

Any help given is much appreciated

Kind Regards

Peter

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Let's say it finds the name in A1. What do you want to return from D:J? What is in those cells?

In other words, how do you identify what column to return from D1:J1?

Upvote 0
clares said:
Hi All

I am struggling with a IF and VLOOKUP (I'm not sure if this is the best option, perhaps someone may have a better suggestion).

What I am trying to do is return a value from a list to another list, where the names are matched.

I have one workbook with two worksheets. On the first worksheet I have a list of 12 names using 12 rows, say A1:A12 (this will never change), and on the second worksheet I have one column say Column A1:A6 with 6 names and in column C1:C6, I have the remaining 6 names. This is one team playing another team. In the next 12 columns, the first 6 columns (D1:J6) are scores ect for the team in column A, and the foloowing 6 columns (K1:O6) relate to the team named in column C.

What I want to do is use the formula which takes the name from the list on the first worksheet, matches it with the name in column A of the second worksheet, if it finds a match, then returns a value from column D:J, if it doesn't find a match in column A, looks in Column C, if it finds a match in column C returns a value from columns K:O. There will always be a match in either column A or C

Is this possible please?

Any help given is much appreciated

Kind Regards

Peter

C1:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Table1,ColIdx,0)

B1, the result cell:

=IF(ISNA(C1),VLOOKUP(A1,Table2,ColIdx,0),C1)

Table1 ---> A1:J6 on the second sheet.

Table2 ---> C1:O6 on the second sheet.

Upvote 0
Hi All

[/quote]Let's say it finds the name in A1. What do you want to return from D:J? What is in those cells?

If the name was found in A1, I would want to return the value that is in D1, If the Name was in C1, I would want to return the value in K1.

I would then use the same forumla to put in the next column on the first sheet, but if it found the name in A1, then I would want it to return the value in E1, and if it found the name in C1, I would want to return the value in L1.

The first sheet has 6 columns next to the names, and the second sheet has 6 columns for each of the team names.

Kind Regards

Peter

Upvote 0
Hi All

[/quote]Let's say it finds the name in A1. What do you want to return from D:J? What is in those cells?

If the name was found in A1, I would want to return the value that is in D1, If the Name was in C1, I would want to return the value in K1.

I would then use the same forumla to put in the next column on the first sheet, but if it found the name in A1, then I would want it to return the value in E1, and if it found the name in C1, I would want to return the value in L1.

The first sheet has 6 columns next to the names, and the second sheet has 6 columns for each of the team names.

Kind Regards

Peter

Upvote 0
Hi All

Kind Regards

Peter

Upvote 0
Hi All

Kind Regards

Peter

Upvote 0
Hi All

Kind Regards

Peter

Upvote 0
Hi All

Kind Regards

Peter

Upvote 0
The you would use:
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$Q$6,4,FALSE)),VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$C$1:$Q$6,10,FALSE),VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$Q$6,4,FALSE))

When ,4, represents D and
,10, represents L

In other words to get column E, change ,4, to ,5, etc

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back