Help With Word Template and InputBox

Kayslover

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
I have got a Word Template that uses the several FILLIN field codes that asks the user to enter data and then populates the document with the data entered.

The problem I have is that I would like to use the data entered against each FILLIN field to save the file with a particular standard. But, alas, these field codes cannot be used. I want the document to be saved with the following standard "Invoice No Cust Name Address" and saved to the directory that the template has been opened from.

So I was thinking to use the InputBox method to save the answers of each InputBox and use those.

The question I have is how do I populate things in the document from the InputBox. What I mean is, If I use InputBox to ask for an Invoice No, Cust Name Address, phone number, how can I then update the document to place these values in the appropriate place?

Hope the makes sence.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
The problem I have is that I would like to use the data entered against each FILLIN field to save the file with a particular standard. But, alas, these field codes cannot be used.
Why can't the field results be used?

Upvote 0
Macropod,

Firstly, Thank you for taking the time to look at this thread.

I have now decided to use a macro than the FILLIN field codes which are in the Template. As such I am going to using the InputBox method to get data to the macro.

The macro allows me greater flexibility as it will allow me to save the file with pre-determined names.

But the question I asked originally stands:-

How do I populate things in the document from the InputBox. What I mean is, If I use InputBox to ask for an Invoice No, Cust Name Address, phone number, how can I then update the document to place these values in the appropriate place? Also I would also like to save files as a normal Word document with the names as Invoice No, Cust Name and saved to the same place as the Template (I will be opening the template and running the macro from there).

Upvote 0
I have no User Forms (as there are training issues), the InputBox is in a macro. It's from the macro that I would like to populate the template and once all fields have been populated, save the file as a normal Word document.

Upvote 0
I'd be surprised if a userform brought more training issues with it than a series of inputboxes that disappear once they're completed. Nevertheless, the document population principles are the same as for a userform.

Upvote 0
Macropod,

Thank you for posting the links, I will look at them and progress.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back