Help with Workbook_BeforeClose

RiffRiffington

Hello, I would assume this would be a simple enough question that I wouldn't have to start a new thread. However, I have searched far and wide for an answer and have come up with nothing. So I am trying to figure out the proper function of the "Workbook_BeforeClose" event. My understanding is that it should run the code when you close Excel or the workbook. Consider the following code:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)

MsgBox ("Test")

End Sub

My understanding is that this code should display a message box that says "Test" when I click on the "X" to close Excel (or the workbook). However, when I try this, nothing happens. I have tried using this code in the following modules: "This Workbook", "Sheet1", and "Module1".

I also know that Excel is not even attempting to run the code because if I throw some bogus code in there, it does not throw an error. Also, Excel will not even allow me to do a "Step Into" with the debug toolbar. As long as the sub is titled with the "Workbook_BeforeClose" event, its as if Excel is ignoring it all together. I am using Excel 2010. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
That code has to be in the ThisWorkbook module of the workbook you are closing.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: I found a workaround for this which will allow me to run code when any workbook closes. In "Personal.xlsb", I create a Class1 module and use the following code:

Code:
Private Sub appevent_WorkbookBeforeClose(ByVal Wb As Workbook, Cancel As Boolean)

MsgBox ("Test1")

End Sub

Then in a new module "Module 2", I use the following code:

Code:
Sub Test()

Set myobject.appevent = Application

End Sub

This works for now. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do it better, I'm all ears. Otherwise, consider this thread self-resolved. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back