Help writing a hyperlink reference to another worksheet based on a number in a neighboring cell

J Blizzard

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm using Excel 365 with Windows 10. I want to create links inside my excel file and am having a lot of trouble combining different formulas inside one cell to make a link.

I have one workbook named "Trade Log" with two worksheets named "Trade Log" and "Screenshots." In the Trade Log worksheet I have details about different stock market trades I've made, and I use the Screenshots worksheet to save one or more screenshots of each trade. I want to provide a clickable hyperlink from screenshot #10 in Screenshots to trade #10 in Trade Log, for example. So just a link to click back and forth between any given trade.

The Screenshots sheet has two areas that I will be dealing with. Column B will have a number denoting what number trade it is, and Column C will have a link that takes you back to the corresponding trade in the Trade Log sheet.

A manually-typed example of the Screenshots worksheet:
For my first trade, I will paste a screenshot in cell A1, type "1" in cell B4, and have a link in cell C5 to take me to Trade Log worksheet, cell A3.
For my 2nd trade, I will paste a screenshot in cell A29, type "2" in cell B31, and have a link in cell C31 to take me to Trade Log worksheet, cell A4.
For my 3rd trade, I will paste a screenshot in cell A56, type "3" in cell B58, and have a link in cell C58 to take me to Trade Log worksheet, cell A5.

I want to make a hyperlink to the Trade Log sheet in the same workbook, absolute reference column A, relative reference consisting of the number typed in the neighboring cell + 2.
This is the link I have now but it returns the error, "Reference isn't valid."
=HYPERLINK("#'Trade Log'!INDIRECT(ADDRESS($B4+2,1,3))","Go")
I've tried a lot of combinations of &, +, and lots of quotes and parenthesis but cannot seem to figure this one out and would appreciate some help with it.

Also, I would love to have this be more automated so that I can paste a screenshot, type the trade #, and have a link automatically appear next to it. My first thought is to have column C be full of IF(NOT(ISBLANK()))'s for thousands of cells so that every time I type a number in column B, a link pops up with the correct row reference to the Trade Log sheet. Is this a viable solution? Will this cause excel to make thousands of IF checks every time I update a cell? Is there a better solution?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

excel screenshot.jpg

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Put this code in the worksheet change event subroutine of your Screenshots worksheet and it will automatically create a link to the TRADE LOG column A row 2 plus the number you entered in column B of screenshots worksheet.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
If Not (Intersect(Target, Range("B:B")) Is Nothing) Then
    If IsNumeric(Target.Value) Then
    rowno = Target.Row
    colno = 2
     Application.EnableEvents = False
       With ActiveSheet
           celno = "'Trade Log'!A" & Target.Value + 2
                  .Hyperlinks.Add Anchor:=.Range(Cells(rowno, colno), Cells(rowno, colno)), _
                   Address:="", _
                  SubAddress:=celno
        End With
    End If
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub
Note it creates the link in column B not column C, so the trade number becomes a link
you can use the same technique to create the link back too.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response, but it only sort of works. If I type a number in a cell in column B, it makea a clickable link to the correct place. But if I then delete the number, the cell doesn't stay blank -- it says 'Trade Log'!A2 and links to cell A2 in the Trade Log sheet. Do I need to create another check to see if the cell is blank, then leave it blank? Or can we start considering blank to be non-numeric? I have never done VBA before. This is all very cool!

Upvote 0
Sorry for the double post but I think I found a solution for empty cells being classified as numeric. I changed your code slightly:

Old Code: If IsNumeric(Target.Value) Then
New Code: If IsNumeric("+" & Target.Value) Then

So now when I put a number in, it gets evaluated as +1 or +2 or +100, then linked to the appropriate cell. Empty cells get evaluated as + instead of null, so they are not numeric anymore and never become links. Is this too "hackish?"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back