help writing formula to determine salary/overtime

sockmodel7

Alright, here's the deal, the wonderful people at my college bookstore didn't manage to get my textbook in until 1 1/2 weeks left in the semester and I need some help putting together a formula in Excel 2003 for the final that will determine the salary of multiple employees, at different hours, pay per hour and overtime.

i.e.
employee 1: 40 hours at $9
emp. 2: 48 at 10
emp. 3: 42 at $8
emp. 4: 44 at $9.50

All hours after 40 hours are time and a half. If someone could help construct a formula for this it would be hugely appreciated because my efforts to do so have only resulted in profanity.

We'll also have to determine pay after 8% taxes, so I'm assuming that can be done with a forumla sum=gross pay*8% followed by the auto sum feature for all columns in that field?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I am assuming you are looking for one formula that does all the calculations and sums?

If so, try

=SUM(IF(A1:A4>40,A1:A4*B1:B4+(A1:A4-40)*B1:B4*1.5,A1:A4*B1:B4))

Confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

You can then multiply that by 1.8 for your pay after tax calculation.

If you looking for individual calculations: =IF(A1>40,A1*B1+(A1-40)*B1*1.5,A1*B1) copied down and then use sum(c1:c4) at bottom of range.

Note: Adjust all ranges to suit your table.

Upvote 0
I will send $25 with Pay Pal or Stormpay to the first person who can put together a formula for me. I'm getting desperate haha

Upvote 0
I think that might be what I'm looking for, so even though I posted it after if you have either pay pal or stormpay leave an address and I'll send along the cash for helping out

Upvote 0
First, make sure it works by doing the calculations manually,

Second, your welcome. This is a free help forum. We don't expect payment. (except for maybe a Thank You! :)

Upvote 0
Well I appreciate, thank you kindly. Now just to clarify what would A1 and A4 represent? regular hours and overtime hours?

Upvote 0
The A1:A4 is the range where your hours are located for each employee and B1:B4 is the corresponding wages.

Note: Please change the formula to this one below. I noted that I a fault with the previous one I posted.

=SUM(IF(A1:A4>40,(40*B1:B4)+(A1:A4-40)*B1:B4*1.5,A1:A4*B1:B4))

Remember to evaluate it with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just Enter

Upvote 0
Can't thank you enough for the help. You deserve a nomination for man of the year, or at the very least a sticker

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back