Help

mike79

Ok, this might sound complicated, so here goes.

I created a Workbook that I will use a template, read only file.
THe workbook contains 4 sheets.
Everyday I will enter in numbers into each sheet with calulations and save it with the format of Month Day Year *file name* (eg. 092406 Report.xls).

Here's what I want to do.
I want to have cell links on the template file with the previous day's file, automatically. For instance, today is Sep. 24 (092406 Report.xls), the template file should have figure's from the previous report from Sep. 23 (092306 Report.xls). I tried direct linking, which worked, but for just that one file. I want to have the file see that the date is Sep. 24 so that it should pull figures from the previous day's file . Then on Sep. 25, pull figures from the Sep. 24 report, and so on....
Each sheet will pull figures from different sheets from the previous day's file.

I can post a mock up copy of the file if needed.

Also, regarding the TODAY() function.
I understand how it works. But my problem is, when I need to go back to a file that I created with the TODAY() function in it, it gives me the current date. I just want it to put that Day's date in there and leave it in. I know I could just put the date in by hand, but this sheet I have it in is all automated and save automatically.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back