Help!

benipals4

Hello,

I am trying to create a spreadsheet to keep track of my business. On one sheet I have all the tables, like Class -personal, business, and split and in another all the expense categories, next Percentage to split. On the data entry sheet I have dropdown menu for class and category, and of course total$, $total from personal, $total from business, and formula to multiply by the percentage from the main sheet.

But my question is, if "split" is selected from drop down menu, and the expense category selected from drop down doesn't have a split percentage, can it alert me to change the "class" to something other than split because the percentage cell is blank or zero?

or is there a condition I can use, if I select the "split" then only show expense categories that have a percentage next to it? or if "split" is selected and "expense category" is selected that the percentage says 0, then don't let me enter total?

I am so lost. My formula works well if it has a number in percentage cell but it doesn't do anything if its 0 or blank

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
How about giving us a table of sample data? And what is the formula you are using that won't work? What errors are you getting?

Upvote 0
One thing you could do is create lists of the possibilities (to go in the second dropdown menu) for each selection from the first dropdown menu and name the ranges the exact same thing. Its hard to explain what I mean, let me show an example.

Options in Drop Down Menu 1

Cat
Fish
Dog
Bird

then I have one list and I have named that range "Cat"
Meow
Mouse
Scratch

and another list named "Dog"
Bark
Doghouse
Bone

etc...

Then you can use data validation in the second drop down menu to pull the Named Range with the same name as the selection they just made in the first menu. (using the Indirect function)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back