Hi Question About VBA code for Sorting a-z just column B, but i have a few merged cells

zone709

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
HI I want to sort column B down in a-z sort. From B4 to B190. My problem is from B1 to B3 is merged cells and I need to leave it. I need to work around so I can sort the rows below B4 and down without get the error. This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized.
An vba code on this would help thanks.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
HI I want to sort column B down in a-z sort. From B4 to B190. My problem is from B1 to B3 is merged cells and I need to leave it. I need to work around so I can sort the rows below B4 and down without get the error. This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized.
An vba code on this would help thanks.

Hi.
Must point out that I'm a newbie to vba..., but if you only want to sort B4:B190 (same range every time), and want to do this with a vba, this will work:
Code:
Sub AtoZ()

With ActiveSheet.Sort
            .SetRange Range("B4:B190")
            .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
            .SortMethod = xlPinYin
            .Apply
        End With

End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It didn't do anything. that column blinked and it didn't debug which is good, but it didn't sort it either. Remember from B1 to B3 I have those columns merged. not sure if that's giving the issue. thanks

Upvote 0
Merged cells are the spawn of the devil. Avoid them at all costs! They cause all sorts of issues with things like VBA and sorting.

If you really need to keep it, just temporarily unmerge them long enough to do your sort.

The code you need can be gotten pretty easily with the Macro Recorder. Just turn on the Macro recorder and record your self doing the following steps:
1. Unmerge cells B1:B3
2. Sort B4:B190
3. Merge cells B1:B3

That should give you the code you need.

Upvote 0
actually forget that I unmerged the cells in B column and I still get a pop up saying that it is merged.

Upvote 0
I don't know whats up on this gonna open a new book and test column a or b on there instead of undoing stuff here. Just not working for me.

Upvote 0
I just tried a new book B4 to B7 replaced numbers in your code. I get no error but it still doesn't sort. Has to be something missing here? Let me know if you think of anything.

Upvote 0
actually forget that I unmerged the cells in B column and I still get a pop up saying that it is merged.

My simple vba further up was done with B1:B3 merged, and it worked just fine...
The code was also made by using the macro recorder mentioned by Joe4. It is recommended.

Upvote 0
Probably means that you have merged cells elsewhere on your sheet.

Can you post the code you are running, and sample data for cells B4:B7 so I can try to recreate exactly what you are trying to do, and the data you are working with?

Upvote 0
If you run the code below does the message box show any cells from column B?

Code:
Sub FindAllMerged()
    Dim c As Range, sMsg As String
    sMsg = ""
    For Each c In ActiveSheet.UsedRange
        If c.MergeCells Then
            If sMsg = "" Then
                sMsg = "Merged worksheet cells:" & vbCr
            End If
            sMsg = sMsg & Replace(c.Address, "$", "") & vbCr
        End If
    Next
    If sMsg = "" Then
        sMsg = "No Merged Cells Found."
    End If
    MsgBox sMsg
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back