Hidden Columns/Rows

Mr. Guy

I had a document sent to me that only has columns A to Q visible and rows 1 through 100. The other rows and columns are not visible. I need to insert new rows and I get the following error:

To prevent possible loss of data, Microsoft Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the worksheet.
Try to delete or clear the cells to the right and below your data. Then select cell A1, and save your workbook to reset the last cell used.

Or, you can move the data to a new location and try again.

Can someone please tell me how to make these columns and rows visible again?? I need to expand on this document.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
First off you need to unhide the cells you cannot see ( Drag the whole columns a couple before the hidden ones start and right click > unhide )

If the whole sheet is FULL of data it will give you that message because the limitations of excell will only allow up to Column "IV" and rows "65536" so if it is full your stuck really !

Only thing I can suggest is to unhide the lot and delete any data you see not neccasry to the form !

Good luck...

Upvote 0
You can also search here for keywords relating to your problem. You're not the first person to ever see this problem. Example.

[Edit]To unhide, you can just hit F5 and GoTo IV1. The cursor will be hidden. Then hit Ctrl+Shift+0 to unhide. While in col IV, hold down your shift key, click on A1 (or Q1), hit Ctrl+Shift+0 again. Similiar process to unhide rows, but use Ctrl+Shift+9. [EndEdit]

Upvote 0
Another note, to expand upon Mike Price's post.

Sometimes, it may appear that all the rows/columns are not used, but when you try to insert something, it says that there are no more rows/columns available.

This may happen when certain formatting/formulas have been applied on all cells. If you delete all the unnecessary rows/columns and save your file, you should then be able to insert rows/columns again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. Someone decided to put thier formulas in IV for some reason and excel wouldn't let me push that column out of the workbook.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back