Hidden Rows and AVERAGEIF formula

Paul Cunningham

55 year old newbie - please be gentle.
I have a spread sheet in which I wish to use the formula AVERAGEIF on a column of data which includes +ve, -ve, zero and errors.
I wish to present the data in a series of cells relating the average to conditions in several columns. So one average could be related to a column that is say male or female (M or F) another average may be related to free school meals (Y or N) etc. All works well until I apply a filter on a column and the AVERAGIF function ignores the filter. I have also tried using the AGGREGATE function as this can be set to ignore error/hidden rows etc. but AGGREGATE only works with AVERAGE not AVERAGEIF.
I appreciate that I could filter the columns for male and female and or free school meals etc. and just show the result using AGGREGATE, but I wish to be able to compare the different averages. It is a large table and navigating it is an issue for some of the users whom it is intended for.
Any help really appreciated.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Hello Paul,

Welcome to MrExcel

The simplest approach here is to use a helper column, e.g. if the column to average is column B then in Z2 copied down use this formula

=SUBTOTAL(2,B2)

That will return a 1 only when B2 is not filtered out and B2 contains a number

Now use AVERAGEIFS and include an extra condition for column Z to be equal to 1, e.g.

=AVERAGEIFS(B:B,C:C,"M",Z:Z,1)

so that will average column B only when column C = "M" and the row is visible after filtering

Upvote 0
Hello Paul,

Welcome to MrExcel

The simplest approach here is to use a helper column, e.g. if the column to average is column B then in Z2 copied down use this formula

=SUBTOTAL(2,B2)

That will return a 1 only when B2 is not filtered out and B2 contains a number

Now use AVERAGEIFS and include an extra condition for column Z to be equal to 1, e.g.

=AVERAGEIFS(B:B,C:C,"M",Z:Z,1)

so that will average column B only when column C = "M" and the row is visible after filtering

Not sure if this is how I say thank you - but thank you Harry H works a treat

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back