Hidden/System Named Ranges

Billkamm

Hi, I recently upgraded to the newest security patch for Excel 2003 (and I tried to save my workbook as shared). I have feeling one of those caused the following:

I have several named ranges on my Excel spreadsheet and some VBA that loops through all the named ranges and performs operations on those cells.

Well recently my VBA code did not work and I ran some code to display all the named ranges and two new named ranges that I did not add and are NOT displayed in the list of named ranges through Excel menus appeared:

WelcomeScreen!Z_DC5AEE31_ED61_4CB9_8C54_4D7F19AE44C8_.wvu.Cols: =WelcomeScreen!$C:$IV
WelcomeScreen!Z_DC5AEE31_ED61_4CB9_8C54_4D7F19AE44C8_.wvu.Rows: =WelcomeScreen!$14:$65536

WelcomeScreen is tab with the welcome information on it and the cols and rows $C:$IV and $14:$65536 are all hidden rows and columns

Any idea what these are and why they are there?

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
From the looks of them they are something native to patch. Maybe one of those (what do they call them? Eastereggs???)

I just read an article by John Walkenbach (www.j-walk.com) about deleting hidden named ranges. I wish I could remember where I read that (on his site or in one of his books).

Upvote 0
I'm not so sure it is an easter egg, because I have seen similiar code to that in web page source code when I did a serach for those lines of code on Google.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back