Hidden user defined formulas

geogeo1

Hello everyone ! I am currently working with an excel file where one of the used formulas is somehow hidden ( I can't view the code to see how the formula works ) . In VBA editor there are 3 references ( XLA ) used where one of them was password protected. I managed to unlock it , with a hex editor, but still when I search for the formula name inside the different modules there is nothing found.
Can anyone help ?

Thank you in advance !

Last edited:

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Hi geogeo1, welcome to the forum.

With the greatest of respect if you are sat in front of your computer with your application open with your files open how would you expect someone with none of those things to be able to assist?

Is the UDF not in the workbook modules and not part of an addin, if not are those addins created by a user in your organisation or someone else? If it is the former then why not place a call to that person or refer to the organisations documentation.

Regards

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi geogeo1, welcome to the forum.

With the greatest of respect if you are sat in front of your computer with your application open with your files open how would you expect someone with none of those things to be able to assist?

Is the UDF not in the workbook modules and not part of an addin, if not are those addins created by a user in your organisation or someone else? If it is the former then why not place a call to that person or refer to the organisations documentation.

Regards

Dave
Hello Dave! First of all thank you for your reply !
The addins are developed by another company , that does not provide further information on questions like this . I am asking because it seems very weird to me, a formula beeing used by a workbook without being defined anywhere. I have searched the modules , that the workbook uses without luck .
I am asking more for your experience here , i.e. where could a formula be hidden that by searching for its name ,its definition can not be found ( only its use on different cells) and if that is the case some tip to make it visible.
Please let me know if you need more information. The workbook was created with Excel2000 and I open it with Excel 2010.
Thank you in advance !

Upvote 0
Hi geogeo1

Where in Excel would you find the actual computer algorithms for a standard worksheet function, not the help definition, the actual computer code that makes the magic of that function happen?

As you are using an undisclosed third party add-in my only suggestion is to refer you to that company for advice. If they aren't willing to disclose the witchcraft that results in their function then, by rights, they are seeking to protect their intellectual property.

HTH

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi geogeo1

Where in Excel would you find the actual computer algorithms for a standard worksheet function, not the help definition, the actual computer code that makes the magic of that function happen?

As you are using an undisclosed third party add-in my only suggestion is to refer you to that company for advice. If they aren't willing to disclose the witchcraft that results in their function then, by rights, they are seeking to protect their intellectual property.

HTH

Dave

But then again , shouldn't the user defined function's code be inside one of the referenced modules ?

Upvote 0
Well, you already hacked the third party add-in, did you see the code? You said you can't find it so...why don't you answer that yourself ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adamsxl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back