Hide columns using controlX checkbox

MPFraser7

Hello,

I am trying to hide 150 columns using controlX checkbox but I can't seem to figure it out.

At first, I tried doing this:

Private Sub CheckBox3_Click()
If CheckBox3 = True Then
[E:F,I:M,t:Ai,am:ml].EntireColumn.Hidden = True
Else: [E:F,I:M,t:Ai,am:ml].EntireColumn.Hidden = False
End If
End Sub

This works fine but I am limited to 255 characters in a line so I can't input all 150 columns in a single line.

Then, I tried doing it using xAddress but I get Run-time error '13': Type mismatch

Private Sub Checkbox2_Click()
Dim xAddress As String
xAddress = Worksheets("Salary Determinate").[LZ3]
If CheckBox2 = True Then
Application.ActiveSheet.Columns(xAddress).Hidden = True
Else
Application.ActiveSheet.Columns(xAddress).Hidden = False
End If
End Sub

All of my columns are listed in cell LZ3 in this format: AB:AB,AD:AD, so on so forth.

The only way that I managed to get it working is by creating more than one checkbox in order to stay within the 255 character limit. In the following example, checkbox 5 is driven by checkbox 2. I know that this is not an efficient way to do it so I am looking for some help to get one of the first two working.

Private Sub CheckBox2_Click()
If CheckBox2.Value = True Then
CheckBox5.Value = True
Else
CheckBox5.Value = False
CheckBox5.Enabled = True
End If
If CheckBox2 = True Then
[AN:AN,AP:AP,AR:AR,AT:AT,AV:AV,AX:AX,AZ:AZ,BB:BB,BD:BD,BF:BF,BH:BH,BJ:BJ,BL:BL,BN:BN,BP:BP,BR:BR,BT:BT,BV:BV,BX:BX,BZ:BZ,CB:CB,CD:CD,CF:CF,CH:CH,CJ:CJ,CL:CL,CN:CN,CP:CP,CR:CR,CT:CT,CV:CV,CX:CX,CZ:CZ,DB:DB,DD:DD,DF:DF,DH:DH,DJ:DJ,DL:DL,DN:DN,DP:DP,DR:DR].EntireColumn.Hidden = True
Else: [AN:AN,AP:AP,AR:AR,AT:AT,AV:AV,AX:AX,AZ:AZ,BB:BB,BD:BD,BF:BF,BH:BH,BJ:BJ,BL:BL,BN:BN,BP:BP,BR:BR,BT:BT,BV:BV,BX:BX,BZ:BZ,CB:CB,CD:CD,CF:CF,CH:CH,CJ:CJ,CL:CL,CN:CN,CP:CP,CR:CR,CT:CT,CV:CV,CX:CX,CZ:CZ,DB:DB,DD:DD,DF:DF,DH:DH,DJ:DJ,DL:DL,DN:DN,DP:DP,DR:DR].EntireColumn.Hidden = False
End If
End Sub

Private Sub CheckBox5_Click()
If CheckBox5 = True Then
[DT:DT,DV:DV,DX:DX,DZ:DZ,EB:EB,ED:ED,EF:EF,EH:EH,EJ:EJ,EL:EL,EN:EN,EP:EP,ER:ER,ET:ET,EV:EV,EX:EX,EZ:EZ,FB:FB,FD:FD,FF:FF,FH:FH,FJ:FJ,FL:FL,FN:FN,FP:FP,FR:FR,FT:FT,FV:FV,FX:FX,FZ:FZ,GB:GB,GD:GD,GF:GF,GH:GH,GJ:GJ,GL:GL,GN:GN,GP:GP,GR:GR,GT:GT,GV:GV,GX:GX].EntireColumn.Hidden = True
Else: [DT:DT,DV:DV,DX:DX,DZ:DZ,EB:EB,ED:ED,EF:EF,EH:EH,EJ:EJ,EL:EL,EN:EN,EP:EP,ER:ER,ET:ET,EV:EV,EX:EX,EZ:EZ,FB:FB,FD:FD,FF:FF,FH:FH,FJ:FJ,FL:FL,FN:FN,FP:FP,FR:FR,FT:FT,FV:FV,FX:FX,FZ:FZ,GB:GB,GD:GD,GF:GF,GH:GH,GJ:GJ,GL:GL,GN:GN,GP:GP,GR:GR,GT:GT,GV:GV,GX:GX].EntireColumn.Hidden = False
End If
End Sub

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
UNION will allow you to blend multiple complex ranges together into one non-sequential range. For your scenario, looks like you are changing visibility to even numbered columns between 40 and 206. This would be less messy:

Code:
Private Sub Checkbox2_Click()
Dim c%

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For c = 40 To 206 Step 2
    ActiveSheet.Columns(c).Hidden = CheckBox2.Value
Next c
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0
This works, thanks! I can now hide every second column from the 40th column to the 348th column. Now I am trying to hide every second column from the 352nd column to 664th column. I tried using the same code for Checkbox4 but no luck, I tried changing the variable to different letter, no luck. Is it possible or does it have to be within the same check box?

Upvote 0
The highlights show what should change between the two subs:

Code:
Private Sub CheckBox[B][COLOR=#ff0000]4[/COLOR][/B]_Click()
Dim c%

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
For c = [COLOR=#ff0000][B]352 [/B][/COLOR]To [B][COLOR=#ff0000]664 [/COLOR][/B]Step 2
    ActiveSheet.Columns(c).Hidden = CheckBox[COLOR=#ff0000][B]4[/B][/COLOR].Value
Next c
Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back