Hide Excel 07 Opening dialog

kwalker24

Anyone know how to prevent Excel 2007 from displaying the Opening progress dialog (with the cancel button on it) when opening a big spreadsheet from VBA?

I thought that turing Display alerts off would do it, but no luck. I tried making Excel invisible during the open as well but no improvement.

ex.
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Set wb = wbs.Open(Filename:="test.xls") 'opening dialog displayed

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Anyone know how to prevent Excel 2007 from displaying the Opening progress dialog (with the cancel button on it) when opening a big spreadsheet from VBA?

I thought that turing Display alerts off would do it, but no luck. I tried making Excel invisible during the open as well but no improvement.

ex.
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Set wb = wbs.Open(Filename:="test.xls") 'opening dialog displayed

Hi and welcome to MrExcel.

Do you want this to prevent the users from cancelling the opening of the workbook ?

I don't have Excel 2007 but I guess this could be easily achieved with a temporary hook. I'll see if I can get access to a computer with Excel 2007 in it later on and see what I can come up with.

Upvote 0
Primarily stopping from cancelling is top priority, but I'd prefer they don't see the dialog so they don't see the file path either. I wonder what Microsoft was up to that they made this such a pain. Thanks fo the response.

Upvote 0
This is my first encounter with Excel 2007 . What can I say it's horribly slow to the point of being unworkable and just to find the developper tab it took me ages .

I tried creating a large workbook (over 350 ko) to replicate your problem but it would just freeze the whole system when trying to save the workbook ! this happened on a PC with 2 Go of RAM.

I wonder what's the the point of having so many rows & columns if one can't store data on them . Is Excel 2010 this bad too ?

What's the size of the large workbook you are trying to open ?

Upvote 0
I am also trying to figure out how to hide these progress dialogs when opening and saving excel files in Excel 2007. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Upvote 0
I worked around the issue. I created a small watcher program that gets launched just prior to opening the workbook. It watches for the dialog, and when it appears it HIDES the window, then closes. If you use the windows API to close the status dialog, Excel will re-open it. I hope Microsoft doesn't spot this post and "fix" being able to hide the dialog.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back