Hide/Unhide Rows with Locked Cells

MntnrMark

Board Regular
I have a spreadsheet with locked cells in several rows. I want users to be able to hide and unhide those rows but, obviously, to not be able to alter anything in the locked cells. What protection do I need to have checked under Review/Protect Sheet to allow that capability? Thank you.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I tried that but it doesn't work.

I have to lock all of the cells in several rows (using Format Cells/Lock Cell) and hide many of those rows, but allow a user to unhide them. When I clicked the Format Rows option the program doesn't allow hidden rows to be unhidden when I password protect the sheet, which is what I need to do.

Upvote 0
Is this how you set it to format rows?
1584456294019.png

I have this and can hide and un-hide to my heart's content.

What version of Office are you using?

Are you sure that there are no macros behind the sheet, which are preventing you from doing certain actions?

Upvote 0
Yes, I set it to "Format rows" as you highlighted it, but I don't have "Set locked cells" checked because I don't want the users to be able to access locked cells (they have links to other worksheets in the file). I do have "Select unlocked cells" checked.

I'm using Office 365 ProPlus.

I do have a couple of macros working, but neither of them should have an impact on selecting the rows. The macros are for (1) double clicking on a mouse to enter a checkmark in a cell, and (2) to generate an error message if someone tries to select two cells in the same row.

Upvote 0
I have just tried an experiment. If you are unable to select locked cells, then you cannot select rows to hide/unhide.

By links, do you mean hyperlinks, or just references?

If the cell is locked and the worksheet is protected, then the user can only read the information in the cell. They cannot change it. If there are hyperlinks in locked cells, then they can follow the hyperlink.

If that is no good for you, then write a hide/unhide routine accessed by a command button on the sheet. Then you can unprotect the sheet, hide or unhide what you want, then protect the sheet again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back