Hiding Macros

rwitte

I have a several workbooks that utilized macros and I have been using for years. Lately, others have used them and have overwrote or moved some of my information. I have since found and or created ways to keep the average Joe from modifying them.

These include creating startup / shut down macros that use "very well hidden" to hide all worksheets other than a "Start Up" one that tells the user to enable macros to view the workbook. There is also a macro that will only allow screen names from my department to save the workbook.

At this point, the problem is that I am starting to see others enable the macros to view the workbook and then they are going in and looking at the VBA to try to "break the code" and make changes.

I would like to figure a way to hide all VBA code unless a person with an "approved screen name" is using it. Is this possible?

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
VBAProject Properties and give it a password and make it not viewable (still not 100% but improves the protection)

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies.

I currently have secured the VBA with a password, but this makes for another password for me to remember. Additionally, it might be months before I need to modify VBAs making it even less likely for me to remember.

I am hoping that there is a way through VBA to hide the code if certain criteria (screen names) are not met.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back