Hiding Rows using Conditional Formatting

ackiss

Excel 2003

Is there any way to hide Rows using Conditional Formatting rather than VBA?

I currently have a budget spreadsheet with thousands of standard rows but only 50 or so are utilized for any one project. I'd like to hide all the line items that have a budget = 0.

I'm not versed on VBA, and was hoping to find another way to accomplish.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
You can't hide rows using conditional formatting.

But you could turn the text in the rows to an appropriate colour so you won't see the data.

But I don't think that's what you want is it?

Upvote 0
That's what I was afraid of.

No, making the text white won't do the trick. Since I have thousands of rows, my goal is to try and fit the relevant rows onto one screen to eliminate scrolling, and prevent errant entry into unused rows.

I basically just want to evaluate the values in column H and hide the row if the value = 0.

If anyone has any previously used code to make this happen, I guess its time for me to take my first dip into the VB pool!

Upvote 0
Good evening ackiss

Have you considered using the autofilter (Data > Filter > Autofilter)? That could quite easily hide any lines where your budget equals zero.

HTH

DominicB

Upvote 0
Auto Filter is one strategy I tried before. It does a pretty good job but I ran into problems when there are merged cells in the columns you want to filter.

After a little research, I've found some ways to adapt this to what I want to do, its just not quite what I had in mind. I had envisioned some sort of macro that I could assign to a button that would basically toggle between hiding all the zeros and showing all rows.

Thanks for the input though. Until I get fancier, I can use the autofilter.

Upvote 0
Merged cells are the DEVIL! :devilish: (so are Pie Charts)

Instead of merging the cells, use Center Across Selection. I've found that merged cells tend to make my files corrupt for some reason, as well as cause other problems like you are experiencing.

Once you change that, I think autofilter will work for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back