Hiding tables from users

Sully38

Board Regular
I have taken over a database that currently has no security assigned to it at all. The users know how exit forms and apply data directly to tables, a very bad thing. I am looking for a quick and dirty way to stop this process from happening while I design a new database with more security and eliminate this process from happening in the future. Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Slap them.

Nothing is quick and dirty when the user has full rights to the database. My guess is that ever user has a copy of MS Access installed on their local machines. This allows each and every user admin rights... which can't be controlled "quick and dirty".

The quickest way of limiting the users access is to convert your .mdb to .mde and tell the users they must use that instead of the .mdb

Converting to .mde does not alter your database. It compiles the code and locks out the user from having unrestricted access.

Also, educating your users on why they shouldn't bypass the forms, etc., can sometimes help.

Upvote 0
Do you users know that pressing F11 will display the database window? If not, you can hide it with Tools/Startup.../ then uncheck the "Display Database Window." For a little more security, you can also uncheck the "Use Access Special Keys." That way they can not even press the F11 key and see the database window.

That is the quick and dirty way to hide tables from your users.

If you need more than this, ask again and we can go much deeper.

Upvote 0
Securing tables

Creating .mde was my first thought and I wish it was that easy. But part of the reason I have taken over this DB is that there are some sections of code that got previous "Admin" over their head. So when I try to create the .mde file I get error messages. Which basically leaves me at the slapping stage.

Upvote 0
Re: Securing tables

Creating .mde was my first thought and I wish it was that easy. But part of the reason I have taken over this DB is that there are some sections of code that got previous "Admin" over their head. So when I try to create the .mde file I get error messages. Which basically leaves me at the slapping stage.

ah.... then, slap them twice.

If your current .mdb works, without errors, creating an .mde should also. The mde conversion simply (more to it than this) compiles the forms, reports, queries and VBA... before use... whereas an mdb has to compile each upon use.... so, end result is no difference beyond what I've already explained.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back