Highlight a cell based on specific text in a different cell

AlienBeans

So, I have a billing spreadsheet with a list of names in column E. I have pay columns that are based on years of experience. The names in Column E contain an * if they are first year and ** if they are 2nd year. What I want to do is change the background colors depending on * or **. I've tried with conditional formatting but what I've tried isn't working. So, if cell E5 has a name: last name, first name (*) then I want cell H5 to turn blue. Can conditional formatting do this alone or do I need a formula to assist? Thanks in advance.

rpaulson

I think you could use conditional formatting, something like: contains (?) or (??)

AlienBeans

I think you could use conditional formatting, something like: contains (?) or (??)
I thought about conditional formatting but I think I would need a formula to accomplish what I'm trying to do. What I've tried hasn't worked, so I'm kind of stuck here.

AlienBeans

Ok. I think I've figured out a formula for a single cell. I'm using =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("1",E5))

Now, I'm struggline to apply this to a group. So, cells E4-E128 contain the names. Column H (cells H4-H128 contain a number. I want the cells in column H to only turn blue if the cells in column E contain a (*) So, now how do I apply the conditional formatting to a range of cells. When I highlight the cells and enter the formula in conditional formatting and set the color, it doesn't work.

AlienBeans

Thank you very much for the direction. I was able to get it solved and have it do what I need it to do. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vullistax

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics