Highlight formula assistance

rn119

I need a formula to highlight the cell right above if a cell in a specific column (let's say Column C) has a unique text value (e.g., IP). Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Unique compared to what? Other values in column C, or compared to something else?

It may be helpful if you could show us a small sampling of your data, and your expected result.

Upvote 0
This column only has one specific text value (i.e., IP). So I need the blank cells directly above that to be higlighted. See example below.

IDTypeCodeActive
WA01REF0075T
WA01REF0075TIP
WA01REF0076T
WA01REF0076TIP

<colgroup><col width="68" span="4" style="width:51pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
What columns are you considering when trying to determine uniqueness?
Can you post some examples of what ones that you don't consider unique look like?

Upvote 0
It's only one column ....so in the example above, that would be Column D. If that column had the "IP" text value (again in the example above...that would be D2 and D4) the cell(s) directly above it is highlighted (so this would be D1 and D3). That's all. No other columns are being referenced for the highlight action.

Upvote 0
OK, so when you say "unique", you mean that there is only one "different" value showing in column D, though it that value may show up many times?
So, then would an example of not unique be something like where "IP" appears on one line, and "DQ" appears on another line (even if they both only appear once)?

Upvote 0
"OK, so when you say "unique", you mean that there is only one "different" value showing in column D, though it that value may show up many times?"

Correct.

"So, then would an example of not unique be something like where "IP" appears on one line, and "DQ" appears on another line (even if they both only appear once)?"

There would be no other text value in this column but yes to this as well in the event there COULD be other text values in the future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Joe sorry I forgot to mention earlier...but is there any way to adjust this to accommodate ALL of column D? Rows are variable based on the data pull so I need this to be dynamic rather than static.

Upvote 0
It would be best to just pick some large row number that you will never hit, as there are a few problems using the whole column, i.e.
- you would be doing unnecessary calculations on tons of rows which could slow things down
- the formula looks at one cell below the current row, so on the last row, it would be looking off the sheet, which would cause an error

So, if you choose some row number you will never hit, it should work, selecting D2 down to that row number, i.e.
Code:
=AND(COUNTIF(D2:D[COLOR=#ff0000][B]9999[/B][/COLOR][B],[/B][COLOR=#ff0000][/COLOR]"*")-COUNTIF(D2:D[B][COLOR=#ff0000]9999[/COLOR],[/B]LOOKUP(2,1/(D2:D[B][COLOR=#ff0000]9999[/COLOR][/B]<>""),D2:D[B][COLOR=#ff0000]9999[/COLOR][/B]))=0,D2="",D3<>"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back