JinTHR

Hello Mr.Excel Community!
Hope everyone is doing well. I have an issue dealing with formulas within a conditional format. I have two conditions. The first is simple. a condition that highlights any values in a list of values that are duplicates. The second is complicated. I need a condition that will nullify the first condition(highlight duplicates) using a list of values that I do not want highlighted(even when duplicated). An example would be two lists of values. First list has the values: 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,5. Second list has the values: 2,3. What i want to happen is values: 1 and 1 to highlight using a duplicate value condition, but I don't want values: 2,2,3, and 3 to highlight. If anyone can help let me know. If anyone needs further explanation let me know.

Thanks everyone!
Jin K

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
Are the list 1 elements in one cell just liked you've typed them, or is the list spread over a range of cells? Same for list 2.

Upvote 0
Hello Micron,
Thank you for your reply! I should have specified that each value is in a separate cell. So the example would be First list of values are in cells A1:A8. The second list of values are in cells B1:B2. Hope that clarifies!

Thanks,
Jin K

Upvote 0
Well, I've spent a couple of hours trying to make conditional formatting work over a range using COUNTIF(A1:C10,A1)>1 to highlight the duplicates but I'm not good at it so I don't think I can help. I know you can use the duplicates feature to do this automatically, but I figured a formula was required in order to have a chance to negate certain results. I got it to highlight only one of the repeated values, whereas the built in feature highlights them all. Problem is, if I changed a non duplicated value to duplicate another value, the range would not update. Sorry.

Upvote 0
Hello Micron,
Thank you for your advice. You have truly helped me by giving me new ideas to work with. I will work on figuring this issue out with the new ideas you have given me.
Hope you have a great day!

Thanks again,
Jin

Upvote 0
Hello Micron,
Thank you for your reply! I should have specified that each value is in a separate cell. So the example would be First list of values are in cells A1:A8. The second list of values are in cells B1:B2. Hope that clarifies!

Thanks,
Jin K

Maybe this formula in Conditional Formatting...

=AND(COUNTIF($A$1:$A$8,A1)>1,ISNA(MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$2,0)))

Hope this helps

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back