highlighting a row and column

largeselection

Hello

Quick question: I was wondering if it was possible either via hotkey or some other setting or option so that if I click on a cell the row and column containing that cell are highlighted. I have a lot of information to sift through and I would love if I could click on say A47 and have A be highlighted (temporarily if possible) as well as 47 be highlighted so I can see the info that is in the same column and same row without my eyes losing place.

the only way I've been doing this so far is to actually select the whole row and "fill" it a color then click on the vertical tab to have it highlight and then I get both. But it would be great if there were a more efficient way to do this.

TIA

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
Hey largeselection

Does not quite solve your problem, but Crtl+Space selects the current column and Shift+Space selects the current row.

RSchlutz

Upvote 0
As you say, not 100% what I was looking for, but still super helpful! I didn't know about that shortcut so that will definitely be of good use.

Upvote 0
You can use a SelectionChange event:

<font face=Tahoma><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_SelectionChange(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Excel.Range)<br>    Cells.Interior.ColorIndex = xlNone<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Highlight the active cell's Row & Column</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> ActiveCell<br>        .EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 36<br>        .EntireColumn.Interior.ColorIndex = 36<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Note that it will wipe out any pre-existing cell colors you may have applied!

Hope that helps,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back